gas tank boil seal price

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
birdacre
Body Type: AA express
Model Year: 1928

gas tank boil seal price

Post by birdacre »

what is the going price to have a model a tank boiled out and sealed. anyone have one recently done? thank you. kevin
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

Re: gas tank boil seal price

Post by Stakebed »

interested as well...
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform

Post by KimVanOrder »

I did my own last year. First cleaned it with nuts and screws, tumbling it to knock the junk loose. ( Tumbled and repeat clean rinse with gas several times) .
Then used Gas tank etch and sealer. Seams to work out very well.
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
SHELBY MESSER
Body Type: 75-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

I cleaned a 30 -31 gas tank I put a gallon of swimming pool acid and a gallon of course and and attached the tank to my cement mixer and let it run about 20 minutes. Drained the acid rinsed out the sand and flushed with baking soda and water and rinsed. I used a gas tank etching and sealer. Turned out great, No rust left behind or sand :) see attached pictures :D Shelby, Sacramento
DSCN0078.JPG
DSCN0078.JPG (135.62 KiB) Viewed 4558 times
DSCN0065.JPG
DSCN0065.JPG (134.88 KiB) Viewed 4558 times
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox

Post by Stakebed »

wait didnt someone get thier tank boiled and it came back with no filler neck? or was that a radiator? either way whatever the boiled it in was hot enough to melt the solder holding the neck on haha.

I need to find a way to tumble a gastank around with some stuff in it... what other ways besides a cement mixer and driving a tractor around with it strapped to a wheel have you used?
tcrate01
Body Type: 29 Closed cab

Post by tcrate01 »

I used a 1938 Farmall F-20 to clean my radiator because that was handy at the moment. I set the left wheel parking brake and jacked up the right side to be just clear of the ground. All remaining wheels were blocked. Then I bolted a plywood holding fixture to the right wheel and strapped a radiator in place. I let the tractor run in 1st gear for about 20 minutes for each wash and rinse cycle. I used gasoline first, then vinegar, then simple green, then water. I was able to save a radiator that the "experts" at a shop told me they could not get clean. I am sure this would work for a gas tank also and a different brand of tractor would also work. I just have a soft spot for Farmalls and flathead fords!
T-crate
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform

Post by KimVanOrder »

Keep is simple guys!! I simply clamped an angle Iron with a rod sticking out on both ends of the tank to give it a pivot point. two nails along side of the rod to keep it from "rolling" along the saw horse's I put it on and simply turned it by hand. Total time to clean the tank took about three hours. I used gasoline and screws and nuts and bolts as an abrasive. I did this several ( 3) times. Rinsed it out with the garden hose. Checked for leaks via setting it in the sun to get it warm. Screwed on a 'sealed' cap and let it cool. When I opened the cap I could hear the vacuum break so I new there are no holes. Dump in the Etch material. Slosh it around. Dump it out and do the same with the sealer. I let the sealer dry and put in another layer just to be sure it got a good coating. hope this helps. Don't make it more complicated than needed.

PS. Clean Radiators with white distilled vinegar. 3 gal. and let the engine run for a while. Mine worked so well it knocked all the rust out so I leaked a lot afterward. ( Then I bought a new one). I got tired of all the hole soldering.
KVO
Dec. '28 AA