rock moss green paint now 750 a gallon?

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
birdacre
Body Type: AA express
Model Year: 1928

rock moss green paint now 750 a gallon?

Post by birdacre »

i saw this price out of lockport NY, it was a sale price. has anyone ever found another product for a better price. if so what brand and formula. i have searched past posts but never found a real answer. any new ideas or leads, even a formula through sherwyn williams, or benjamin moore, or pittsburgh paints. i know many have industrial enamels. thank you in advance, kevin in ct
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

Re: rock moss green paint now 750 a gallon?

Post by Stakebed »

Isnt lockport, NY where MAC's model a parts is located?

I thought brittish racing green was pretty darn close to rock moss.
birdacre

Post by birdacre »

i have heard both about british racing green. will give it some thought. thank you, kevin
rfj52
Model Year: 1930

Post by rfj52 »

Try Paint for cars.com , I used their black for my truck $60.00 a gallon but that includes reducer and hardener. Their color selection is limited but they do have british green.
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform

Post by KimVanOrder »

Ford Rock Moss Green is PPG Brand Code 117. In our system, the year is shown as 1929 only; however, your car could well be a year-end roll-over which would still make it the correct paint for the car. This paint can be purchased through a PPG Distributor. The Brand Code is all you need to take to them. In the event you do not already have a Distributor location, Ridge a& Kramer Auto Parts, 616-392-4075 should be able to help you. If you are working with a painter, again, that number is all they need to be able to mix the paint.

CATHY

Customer Service Representative, Color Library

Automotive Refinish

PPG Industries

19699 Progress Drive

Strongsville, OH 44149

From my old files.
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
birdacre

Post by birdacre »

thank you for info. does it cost what the model a catalogue charges? just curious, thank you, kevin
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

FYI - The revised E supplement for the RGJS does not list Rock Moss Green as a 1928 color for the AA vehicles.

Commercial Gray is listed through August 1928 (a dark green - paint chip not available)
Gun Metal Blue is listed as starting August 1928 (a dark green - paint chip in "Model A Ford Paint & Finish Guide")

The revised E supplement (currently completed) will be release with about 10 other areas and supplements in 2016 (hopefully). RGJS - Restoration Guidelines & Judging Standards document.
Regards, Neil Wilson
Body Type: flat bed

Post by W Simshauser »

Neil
I have an unrestored Oct. 1928 AA. There is still some original paint inside the cab, it is a dark green.
Thanks
Bill
KimVanOrder

Post by KimVanOrder »

When I took my Dec. 28 apart the inside color on the back side of somethings was a bluish green. I assumed it was "rock moss" . May have been something else?
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Post by 1crosscut »

KVO - I would think that it was Gun Metal Blue. That is what my January 29 was.
------------
Dave
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

KimVanOrder wrote:When I took my Dec. 28 apart the inside color on the back side of somethings was a bluish green. I assumed it was "rock moss" . May have been something else?
I believe the most think any 1928 closed or open cab that has some dark green must be Rock Moss Green simply because the RGJS list the name Rock Moss Green currently. The Ford documentation shows the color names to be:

Commercial Gray through August 1928 (a dark green - paint chip not available)
Gun Metal Blue starting August 1928 (a dark green - paint chip in "Model A Ford Paint & Finish Guide")

Both of these colors are dark green. The color chip for Gun Metal Blue and Rock Moss Green look much the same.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by KimVanOrder »

Neil Wilson wrote:
KimVanOrder wrote:When I took my Dec. 28 apart the inside color on the back side of somethings was a bluish green. I assumed it was "rock moss" . May have been something else?
I believe the most think any 1928 closed or open cab that has some dark green must be Rock Moss Green simply because the RGJS list the name Rock Moss Green currently. The Ford documentation shows the color names to be:

Commercial Gray through August 1928 (a dark green - paint chip not available)
Gun Metal Blue starting August 1928 (a dark green - paint chip in "Model A Ford Paint & Finish Guide")

Both of these colors are dark green. The color chip for Gun Metal Blue and Rock Moss Green look much the same.

Thanks Neil: So my Dec. 28 closed cab should be Gun metal blue. It is presently Semi Gloss Black. ( My story is it was a "custom" paint job! Which I did). If I ever repaint, I'll go to GMB. Thanks again for all your help and info. I hope to meet you some day.

KVO
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

Thanks Neil: So my Dec. 28 closed cab should be Gun metal blue. It is presently Semi Gloss Black. ( My story is it was a "custom" paint job! Which I did). If I ever repaint, I'll go to GMB. Thanks again for all your help and info. I hope to meet you some day. KVO
Kim, The new E supplement of the RGJS has the following:
Black was not a standard color for 1928 and 1929 vehicles and therefore is not included in the following AA color schemes. However, black with a French Gray striping could have been ordered through late 1929 for any AA.
The normal was that AA's did not have the paint polished. So, a semi-gloss would look original.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by KimVanOrder »

Neil Wilson wrote:
Thanks Neil: So my Dec. 28 closed cab should be Gun metal blue. It is presently Semi Gloss Black. ( My story is it was a "custom" paint job! Which I did). If I ever repaint, I'll go to GMB. Thanks again for all your help and info. I hope to meet you some day. KVO
Kim, The new E supplement of the RGJS has the following:
Black was not a standard color for 1928 and 1929 vehicles and therefore is not included in the following AA color schemes. However, black with a French Gray striping could have been ordered through late 1929 for any AA.
The normal was that AA's did not have the paint polished. So, a semi-gloss would look original.
Well that's my answer then!!! I add the French grey stripes and tell every body that it was ordered that way.! :D

Do you know how many aerosol cans it takes to paint a truck? 52. Includes rust reformer, primer, filler, Black and Marigold yellow yellow for the wheels. ( Hamilton 'Hawk eye' high school colors).

Thanks again. KVO
KVO
Dec. '28 AA