What oil to use in the worm drive rear

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
chief5215
Body Type: open
Model Year: 1928

What oil to use in the worm drive rear

Post by chief5215 »

I have been told not to use the modern day oil in this worm drive rear because it will damage the bronze gear. My question is what should I use. Is the 600 that bratton sells the correct Oil to use. if not can I but locally. How full do you fill the rear/ Thanks Billy
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

Re: What oil to use in the worm drive rear

Post by Stakebed »

yes to the 600w the vendors sell, some put 1/2 bottle of STP oil treatment in with it to make it extra clingy.

just like every 2 plug gearbox since the first: open fill plug (higher one) and fill till it runs out on a level surface, reinstall cap and check it every now and then. Worst thing you could do is run it low.
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Post by 1crosscut »

Yep, simplest thing to do is order the 600wt oil from one of the vendors. It will do just fine and should be used in the rear end, dual high and transmission. The stuff is really thick and usually comes in a quart sized squeeze bottle. Placing the bottle in a pan of water and letting it boil for a while will make it more fluid and easier to get into the rear end etc... Sort of like warming up a bottle to feed your baby. :wink:
------------
Dave
tiredtruckrestorer
Model Year: 1931

Post by tiredtruckrestorer »

I'd double check with the vendor and ask him for the specs on the oil he is repackaging. It must say that it is compatible with brass and bronze components. Many modern automotive gear lubes have anti-wear additives that are not. It's easier to find the correct lube for worm drive applications in the industrial lubricant line. They wouldn't still make it if it was the same as other modern day gear lubes. Mobil Industrial and Lubriplate are two brands that I know of. I can look up what their correct part numbers are if you'd like.

Keith
chief5215
Body Type: open

Post by chief5215 »

Yes please help me with part numbers . I don't want to have this failure again, Im surprised only 2 members have imput on this issue. If you have a failure its very expensive to repair. Should I back these bearings in this rear with grease when I reassembly it. Thanks Billy
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform

Post by KimVanOrder »

Order the 600 W from a supplier. It works.

KVO
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
tiredtruckrestorer
Model Year: 1931

Post by tiredtruckrestorer »

Lubriplate Lubricants has the specially made gear oils that will not attack the bronze gears. I use their SPO-288 gear oil for my worm drive trucks. This is a 680 W gear oil on the ISO viscosity grade scale. (This is the scale the repackaged products are being sold as for the Model A's so it seems special) It is also rated a 250W gear oil on the SAE grade scale. Ask which viscosity scale they are labeling the product from, the ISO or the SAE. The ISO grade is from the International Standard Organization and the SAE is the Society of Automotive Engineers. You can check Lubriplate's website for more information and dealers or check with Restoration Supply Company, Escondido, CA at www.RestorationStuff.com. as they handle it also.

Keith