Clutch Pedal to the floor.

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
wv model AA
Body Type: Dump truck
Model Year: 1931

Clutch Pedal to the floor.

Post by wv model AA »

Last Saturday on my way to a truck show as I was going through the gears, double clutching, and my clutch pedal went to the floor.

First thing I noticed that the clutch adjustment rod was broken. No big deal, fixed that. However; the clutch pedal did no return “spring” back into place.

Now I think I know what the problem is BUT I want to hear it from you guys, the AA experts before I start thinking on my own.
My guess is a clutch spring located inside the clutch housing broke or slipped off.

Suggestions, recommendations, all comments are greatly appreciated.

BTW, are there any drawings, explode views of the AA Clutch and Transmission?

Thanks,
Jeff Jones
Shepherdstown, WV
Attachments
IMG_1544.JPG
IMG_1544.JPG (147.71 KiB) Viewed 4142 times
West Virginia Model AA

"Hold My Beer and Watch This..."
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

Re: Clutch Pedal to the floor.

Post by Stakebed »

i know on the cars the arm that the adjustment yoke attaches to is known to crack and stretch off the shaft. i see in your pic theres a stove bolt where a pin should be on the adjustment yoke.

even with the small broken spring inside the clutch the pressure plate is what springs most of the clutch pedal back up - spring merely keeps the throwout bearing from riding on the pressure plate fingers when your foot is off the pedal.

SO since theres very few linkages check the easiest: lever arm described as above, could have sheared the throwout fork pin and its slipped on the shaft, could have fallen out (tapered hammer it in fit) or one or both armsbroke off the throwout fork.

remove all the floor boards and the bellhousing/clutch inspection cover and shine a light inside while pressing the pedal - should become obvious.
wv model AA

Post by wv model AA »

I'll remove the upper floor and go from there.

Stay tune for more updates over the weekend.

Thanks, Jeff
West Virginia Model AA

Farrell In Vancouver
Body Type: Deck

Post by Farrell In Vancouver »

I believe the is a spring for the clutch pedal return that is missing AA-7523 that would help hold the pedal up. What ever happened in the clutch remain to be seen. http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/Conte ... 3-9935.jpg
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Post by 1crosscut »

Are you able to disengage the clutch?
------------
Dave
wv model AA

Post by wv model AA »

Problem Solved. After adjusting the clutch rod to the other rod to the clutch shaft, all is well.

Also removed the clutch cover and inspected the springs, shift fork and greased the fitting. Everything appears to be normal.

Thank you all for your help…until next time.
West Virginia Model AA