Chassis Black

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Vicky
Model Year: 1930

Chassis Black

Post by Vicky »

Hi –

What is everyone using for chassis black? I’m not so much interested in color as I am in durability.

I used PPG 20 years ago and there are hardly any chips etc. Just, of course, the rust on the bottom of the frame. It is, of course, unavailable.

Thanks a lot.

Vicky
mikeg
Site Admin
Body Type: 150B

Re: Chassis Black

Post by mikeg »

Vicky wrote:Hi –

What is everyone using for chassis black? I’m not so much interested in color as I am in durability.

I used PPG 20 years ago and there are hardly any chips etc. Just, of course, the rust on the bottom of the frame. It is, of course, unavailable.

Thanks a lot.

Vicky
I used POR-15 which is black, then a top coat of another POR product that was glossy black.
E.Moore

Chassis Black

Post by E.Moore »

I used PPG - DCC9000 Gloss Black. It is a 2 stage poly paint that is all black. There are no other pigments in it. I used black 2 stage DPLF 90, primer- sealer on the baremetal, then the DCC9000 on top. It is very durable. The black primer sealer will not be so noticeable, as it is when a gray or red oxide primer is used, when a rock chip occurs. I had an old can of original Ford Chassis Black enamel to use for matching the gloss to the PPG DCC 9000.
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

Re: Chassis Black

Post by Stakebed »

mikeg wrote:
Vicky wrote:Hi –

Thanks a lot.

Vicky
I used POR-15 which is black, then a top coat of another POR product that was glossy black.
weve used that stuff before and i think it bonds to the metal. BUT it has to be clean (mostly shiney) flake rust free and no paint left on it whatsoever. it only sticks to metal and flakes off in a day if its on a previously painted surface.

has anyone used several coats of gloss black rustoleum before?
E.Moore

Chassis Black

Post by E.Moore »

Scroll down in the discussions to "1930/1931 Rear Spare Carrier Wanted For 157 WB"

You can see my 157 chassis with the black primer sealer DP90LF, as well as the gloss of the PPG - DCC 9000 Gloss Black