Assembling wheels

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

Re: Assembling wheels

Post by Stakebed »

Yea, ive been next to a truck on the interstate when its tire blew out... scary enough when chunks of tire and steel belts are hitting the side of your car...

Picked up my lockrings from the blaster who also caterpillar/military spec primed them. Then do my paint and THEN ill be ready to assemble...
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Neil Wilson »

1crosscut wrote:Sorry guys but am I missing something here?
Why screw around with filling these things when professionals with proper tools and cages are available to do this for us?
I can not imagine that cost is the issue. If we are restoring these trucks and can afford to purchase tires for them surely we can afford the few dollars it might cost us to have it done safely.
Just my opinion - A safe procedure is not a risk and takes less time/effort than using a shop. New lock rings are not available as far as I know. Most lock rings are slightly stretched from usage over the years. Setting the lock rings as described in document referenced above is going to be required most of the time (that is not going to happen in a cage). For me, I don't know of a local place that does this job. So, it would be a fair amount of time to transport a set of wheels/tires to and from a shop. Also, I would not trust a shop to install tires on restored wheels/lock-rings and not do some damage to the finish.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by Stakebed »

yea ive got several shops around that said they would do them. Said they dont mind if I assemble them and they just do the inflating. whats the lockring/split rim style that have been federally outlawed look like? I have been told by all of them they cant and wont do those...? They said they cant do those but the AA rims are OK.
Last edited by Stakebed on April 26th, 2016, 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform
Model Year: 1928

Post by KimVanOrder »

Nice soap box Dave! ( your Correct).
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Post by Bob C »

Stakebed wrote:yea ive got several shops around that said they would do them. Said they dont mind if I assemble them and they just do the inflating. whats the lockring/split rim style that have been federally outlawed look like? I have been told by all of them they cant and wont do those...? They said they cant do those but the AA rims are OK.
This is a widow maker.

Bob
budd1954FirestoneRH5degreeRH5degree.jpg
budd1954FirestoneRH5degreeRH5degree.jpg (39.66 KiB) Viewed 4074 times
Stakebed

Post by Stakebed »

that just looks like a terrible idea...
Stakebed

Post by Stakebed »

All rings and rims are painted in thier final coats. turned out purdy.

Gotta unwrap and stuff the tubes in the tires and inflate a little bit to poof the tire out some before assembly yet. Saturday unfortunately is devoted to putting a new U joint in my parts getter s10. Then the driveshaft is off to get balanced as i suspect its bent or unbalanced...Shouldnt take too long but supposed to be rainy. Will deffinately get the tubes in the tires though and centercaps painted.