Muffler

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
emf
Body Type: Firetruck
Model Year: 1928

Muffler

Post by emf »

What do the rest of you guys use for a muffler and pipe? My AA is a firetruck and someone put a car exhaust on it. It's blown and does not quiet the exhaust at all. Not only that, the end of the tail pipe is about one foot behind the driver's seat and the fumes get to me. I was thinking of cutting the muffler off just to use the bell that attaches to the manifold and going with pipe and a universal round muffler. Any thoughts???

Frank
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform
Model Year: 1928

Re: Muffler

Post by KimVanOrder »

Save yourself some grief. Get the correct muffler from a supplier. You'll thank yourself latter.

KVO
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Post by 1crosscut »

I suggest you get the stock Model A muffler from Aries. I think that you would be hard pressed to find a different muffler that is going to give you that Model A sound. You can always have a muffler shop weld on an extension pipe if you need to make it longer.
------------
Dave
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Neil Wilson »

You can find information regarding original AA muffler installations at http://aafords.com/aa-chassis/aa-5230-muffler/.

Starting in April 1931 the AA131 was fit with an AA muffler (same as an A chassis muffler but without a tail pipe). A separate tail pipe was this used depending on the body type. All AA157's used the AA muffler with separate tail pipe.
Regards, Neil Wilson