well just got some pics of my 29AA

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

well just got some pics of my 29AA

Post by Stakebed »

as the title says. here are some pics of my 29 AA. im really kinda lost as in what to do. does it look restoreable? yes i realize anyhting can be restoreable but i would hate to have only a frame be salvageable out of this and have to hunt and track down an engine, etc...

while the frame felt solid i tried getting the engine to turn with channel locks but that only resulted in a broken pulley...i took 2 of the spark plugs out and in cyl #1 it looks liek a mouse or shrew made a nest! all i could see was a bunch of little fine dried grass and tiny twigs! the plug threads had some old dried out oil on them tho...
in cyl #2 it didnt look too bad. looked like alot of burnt on black oil. but no mest or twigs. i didnt see much rust down there but saw alot of flakes. i dunno if they are rust flakes or if they are just water deposits or some other normal gunk...

im not sure whats going on wiht the front but the radiator was pushed back into the fan lightly. so i dunno if somehitng gave way suspention wise and it kinda fell back or its mounts broke. the front leaf springs looked rusted out and shot(not sure if u can tell from the pics)

interior wise well as you can see in one pic is gone, but i was expecting that.
im not sure what that white switch is on the dash. maybe my great grandfather or my grandfather put that in place as an ign switch...

my grandpa said it has a 3 speed but also has hi and low (the 2 little pedals in the middle of the floor)

well on with the pics! im still kinda lost as in what to do. is this pretty standard condition for a 78 year old truck? the last license plates that were on it say 1951. my grandfather said that he used it a long while just around the farm after he took it off the road so who knows how long that was.

what was interesting about it the water neck and head looked like they cracked and someone a long tiem ago welded them back together. there are some pretty big welds on the engine head and around the water neck. you can see the ones on the water neck in the pic of the engine.
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Chris Haynes »

I know that Henry liked his engines green, but this is ridicilous. :D
Stakebed

Post by Stakebed »

LOL i know... does that mean anyhting that moss like stuff is growing on the outside? its not so much moss as it is like just surface green... i also posted this up on fordbarn.
they have kinda turned my whole view of this project around. :D
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Neil Wilson »

Hello Stakebed,
The platform body on your truck looks to be in good condition and has the original mounting hardware. The truck is most likely mid 1929 since it has the push button emergency brake handle in front of the shift lever. The rear fenders were a production option until about mid 1929. The extra transmission is the Ford dual high which means it has an underdrive and a straight through gear but no overdrive.
Regards, Neil Wilson
HKDude
Body Type: Platform

Post by HKDude »

Stakebed,

Looks similiar to how mine looked when I yanked it out of the field.

Its very hard to say what you'll run into until you start taking it apart to inspect and restore it.

Have no fear. There's lots of great people here with plenty of experience and advice.

Have fun.

-mike
Attachments
NewThumb.jpg
NewThumb.jpg (96.66 KiB) Viewed 5528 times
Stakebed

Post by Stakebed »

huh looks framiliar :D

when you said you yanked yours out, was it half stuck in mud? where did you attach like towing chains? mine is currently in the back of a field that is id say a 1/4 mile from the farm buildings. its gonna take a farm trasactor (have available) and some car towing chains (which we have) to get it up to the barn.
but im not sure where would be good places to wrap a chain put the hook on thru to be able to have a good hold. i know prolyl not wrap it around the front axel and obviously not the tie rods.

in my pics it looks like the front leaf spring rusted out and broke... but im not sure so it may be fine.i was goign to attach it somewhere on the frame somewhereprolly even with the rear of the engine on the frame and go under the front axel and chain it (maybe he has a power lift on his tractor???) and tie it as high up on the tractor as it can go. so when it gets pulled it slightly lifts the front and is essentialy like a tow truck...(tow truck would be super ideal but i dont know anybody who owns one or works for a company that could borrow it)