window garnish trim pick up cab

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
birdacre
Body Type: AA express
Model Year: 1928

window garnish trim pick up cab

Post by birdacre »

i have a pick up cab, AA. the trim around right and left of window openin poses a question to me. it screws in, has a threaded stud coming through oval hole in middle. on the stud is the knurled knob to hold open window with regulator. hope this clearly depicts WHAT i am talking about. my QUESTION, i have seen these trim pieces installed TWO ways. one is to have the inner edge of the trim wrap around the door edge and be peaned over about an 1/8 inch. the other is to have the folded edge of the trim lay on itself and butt up to the lip on door opening. any comments. hope you can comprehend my description. thank you, kevin
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform

Re: window garnish trim pick up cab

Post by KimVanOrder »

You lost me with the Oval hole and threaded stud to hold window open. My 28 dose not have that. Did you try looking at vendors for similar parts? may lead you to what is what.

Can you send a picture of it?
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
birdacre

Post by birdacre »

i should have said windshield opening. hope this helps. the hole and stud are to hold windshield open. thanks, sorry, kevin
KimVanOrder

Post by KimVanOrder »

birdacre wrote:i should have said windshield opening. hope this helps. the hole and stud are to hold windshield open. thanks, sorry, kevin

Mine laps over.
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
birdacre

Post by birdacre »

do you mean laps over the lip on door edge or laps over upon itself and is folded under? thank you. kevin
KimVanOrder

Post by KimVanOrder »

I don't knnow what i mean! :shock: I'll go and take another look tomorrow. :oops:
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
KimVanOrder

Post by KimVanOrder »

KVO
Dec. '28 AA
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

Post by Stakebed »

on my cab (guessing 29) those mouldings clipped around and "swung" into place over the stud.

from drivers seat point of view:

Mine slid aroudn the lip closest to the seat, then swung around over the stud towards the radiator. Thats why the stud hole is elongated to allow this. if it went straight on it would be a simple round hole...
birdacre

Post by birdacre »

that is the part. the edge of it that lays next to the door is the edge in question. some butt up to the edge in the door frame. some ride over the door edge and are peaned over 1/8 inch. i have seen both. which is correct? any ideas or photos of your cabs?
KimVanOrder

Post by KimVanOrder »

birdacre wrote:that is the part. the edge of it that lays next to the door is the edge in question. some butt up to the edge in the door frame. some ride over the door edge and are peaned over 1/8 inch. i have seen both. which is correct? any ideas or photos of your cabs?

The Latter. I just checked my 28 and that's how it is. Hook it over, swing it around to the front. As mentioned earlier, that is why a oval hole.

KVO
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
birdacre

Post by birdacre »

so just to be sure, you could remove your trim piece by removing 2 screws. it is not formed, peaned over or bent over the little raised edge in the side door opening? thanks again, please inform. kevin
KimVanOrder

Post by KimVanOrder »

birdacre wrote:so just to be sure, you could remove your trim piece by removing 2 screws. it is not formed, penned over or bent over the little raised edge in the side door opening? thanks again, please inform. kevin
Yes "BUT". Mine have the very bottom of this trim part just barely stuck in by the dash panel. I think it can be removed with out removing the dash but it was much easier for me to put the dash in last. ( I had to patch a couple of bullet holes in it any way). :shock:
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
birdacre

Post by birdacre »

i still have one more question. if you shut either side door, you will notice it butts up to a small lip about 3/16". this is the edge that i speak of. does your moulding butt up to the edge or come over it and then be peaned over. i have seen both. hope you can visualize. thanks again, kevin
KimVanOrder

Post by KimVanOrder »

I clips OVER!! and is not clinched on.
KVO
Dec. '28 AA