Speedometer Gear Help

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
chief5215
Body Type: open
Model Year: 1928

Speedometer Gear Help

Post by chief5215 »

I have the early worm drive rear. I got the rebuilt finished , I had some bolts that need to be cleaned so I dropped them in my parts washer basket with my speedometer gear and housing {still assembled} After cleaning them I removed the parts from the cleaner and I found a spring a little bigger than a ink pin spring in my basket and my speedometer gear had come out of its housing .Does the spring belong in the speedometer gear or did it come from some where else. The gear and housing is the one that screws into the torque tube Thank You Billy
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform

Re: Speedometer Gear Help

Post by KimVanOrder »

As usual, ( as my kids say) I'm little to no help here. I don't remember a small coil spring. A wave washer maybe but no " pen" spring.
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Neil Wilson »

As usual, pictures, pictures, pictures - they take lots of speculation out of answers.
AA speedometer gear (drive and driven) do not use a spring. So, a photo plus the OD and length of the spring might help.
Regards, Neil Wilson
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

Post by Stakebed »

I've had things work thier way back out of the future before when sandblasting and parts washing... I 2nd the notion there is no spring in the aa Speedo gear housing.

Are you sure its a spring? Could it be a bit of broken off cable that was somehow stuck in the end of the gear shaft? That would be about a pen spring size.
BrianT
Body Type: 82A

Post by BrianT »

Its possible at sometime the inner cable was backing out of the speedo head and some genius came up with the idea of adding a spring inside the driven gear to keeping it in place, ----- pictures - pictures.
Ford Truck Nut

Post by Ford Truck Nut »

could it possibly be part of the original drive shaft seal?
"Bear Down, try Hard, and never quit, NEVER"
Tuff Headman
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox

Post by Stakebed »

Ford Truck Nut wrote:could it possibly be part of the original drive shaft seal?
Ahhh good point... WE NEED PICTURES!!! :D
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform

Post by KimVanOrder »

Can you give us the O.D. / length / Wire Dia. Does it look like a compression spring or Tension spring. ( of course after all of this we'll find out you droped your ink pen in by mistake)!!!! :lol:
KVO
Dec. '28 AA