hit another snafu

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

hit another snafu

Post by Stakebed »

long story short I bought 5 brand new 20" truck inner tubes last year for a heck of a deal. Didn't want to pass on that deal and didn't notice what style of valve stems it has.

It has the 90* brass valve stems - they do not fit the 29 concave rims. It would fit fine if they were a 45" angle or had another S bend to straighten them straight up.

Is it possible to straighten them? or bend them?

Currently inflated inside the tires making them poof back out and holding air just fine.
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Re: hit another snafu

Post by Bob C »

I had to bend mine, didn't take to much.

Bob
stems.JPG
stems.JPG (127.34 KiB) Viewed 3975 times
stew
Body Type: dump

Post by stew »

If it were me, I think I would try a tubing bender on an old stem first, to bend it without putting a kink in it. Just a thought.
Always one bad decision away from a good time.
tiredtruckrestorer

Post by tiredtruckrestorer »

Stakebed, you should have no trouble bending your stems. In fact, around 1931 Schrader decided to reduce their valve stem offerings to seven "convertible" stems for truck tires. The "convertible" stems were then bent with a stem bender they offered. Schrader had a chart that would let you calibrate the tool to get the correct bend on the stems. This may have contributed to the difficulty in finding the correct stems as per the Judging Standards for show trucks as new stems could easily be bent and the old ones discarded. I've found two styles of the Schrader bending tool in flea markets over the years. We never had any special tools to bend the stems in our truck shop though. We just slipped a box wrench over the stem and bent it where ever it needed to be.

Keith
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

Post by Stakebed »

Perfect! Thanks guys!

I thought of a tubing bender but i dont have one of the "plier" style.

Good to know they dont need much bending to fit.