advice on removing running boards and aprons

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
cokefirst
Body Type: stake
Model Year: 1931

advice on removing running boards and aprons

Post by cokefirst »

I have a 31 AA stake body truck. It was restored 30 or so years ago. I am adding a side mount spare on the right side and the fabricator needs the apron and running boards off the truck to put in the holes. (plus I want to repaint all the black before reassembly.

I have looked under and inside the cab and it appears that the cab is mounted with 8 bolts, 4 on each side, to the frame through the aprons. If I remove the 8 bolts and the bolts holding the running boards to the running board braces, can I lit the cab an inch or so and slide the aprons and running boards out? I am trying not to disassemble and remove the entire cab. Any help is appreciated. THANK YOU
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Re: advice on removing running boards and aprons

Post by Neil Wilson »

FYI - A 1931 AA with platform is not designed for a side mounted wheel carrier. I don't see how this is going to work. The frame would be stamped with side mount carrier holes since the same frame was used for other body types.

No pictures - Hmm - A 30 year old restoration could mean your AA has non-original parts. Consequently, the following is just guessing.

A 1931 platform AA would have had short running boards and shields. Original 1931 AA's would have had a front fender shield which is bolted to both the fender and to the running board shield. The fender shield would require that the body bolts be removed and the cab lifted. The running board shield would be bolted to two small "L" brackets attached to the frame with carriage bolts. Lifting the cab would aid in removing these carriage bolts.
Regards, Neil Wilson
Body Type: stake
Model Year: 1931

Post by cokefirst »

Hi Neil,

Sorry for the incomplete information. This was originally a dump truck, but I got rid of the dump body and put on the stake bed. It has the left sidemount spare. The fenders have been removed and I have a fabricator making the well for the right fender. The frame is stamped for the right sidemount and I have all the hardware for it. I need to remove the aprons and running boards so the fabricator can put the hole in the apron for the right side and then I am going to have the fenders, aprons, running boards painted black and then reinstall.

My question is, how high do I have to lift the cab to remove the bolts retaining the aprons. It looks like if I take the 8 bolts out retaining the cab, I can lift it a couple of inches and then remove whatever bolts are holding on the aprons and running boards and remove them. I am guessing I can lift the cab a couple of inches without disconnecting everything, but I have never done it, so I am trying to get some expert advice so I don't wind up biting off more than I can chew.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Neil Wilson »

You are wanting to install a right front fender wheel carrier not a side carrier. The side carrier was installed behind the passenger door. Post a picture -- best way to avoid guessing what is at hand.

To lift the cab, there are lots of parts which must be removed first. The hood, radiator support rods, floor board, rod to carburetor, gas line, line from key to distributor, steering to body bracket, plus other items I would guess. It have been too long since I have done this to remember everything. Once everything is disconnected, then the cab can be lifted what ever amount required to do the job.

The front three body bolts go through the fender shield. There are no body bolts through the running board shield.
Regards, Neil Wilson