Mirror Needed

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
emf
Body Type: Firetruck
Model Year: 1928

Mirror Needed

Post by emf »

I have a 28 AA Firetruck with an open cab and folding windshield posts. I need mirrors desperately and cannot find ones that will work. It seems only mirrors for closed cabs are available. I have added a photo of the front and would like the mirrors to mount where the windshield lower stanchions mounting holes are. Does such a mirror exist?

Also, on the flat hub caps for the wire wheel... I saw a truck in Hellertown with high domed hub caps that looked like those for the car, mine are flat. Which are correct? Also, how were they finished? mine seem to be dull and not shiny....

Frank

IMG_0250a.jpg
IMG_0250a.jpg (299.63 KiB) Viewed 8279 times
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

1928 Open Cab mirror and hub cabs

Post by Neil Wilson »

Your 1928 AA should have the 76-A open cab. I don't believe this cab had a fold down windshield off the assembly line. You might find the mirror you would like by looking for the 76-B open cab mirrors from vendors - see http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/model ... ors?page=1.

The original hub cap for the 1928/1929 steel spoke wheel is shown in the attached picture. There were about six different Ford Script. They were nickle plated but I don't know the finish. An engineering drawing might provide this information. I would not be surprised to find they were not a bright finish. These are hard to find and expensive. So, some are using other easy to find replacements.
Attachments
xAA Hub Cap 5b.jpg
xAA Hub Cap 5b.jpg (14.93 KiB) Viewed 8269 times
AA Hub Cap 5b.jpg
AA Hub Cap 5b.jpg (135.89 KiB) Viewed 8269 times
Regards, Neil Wilson
emf

Re: Mirror Needed

Post by emf »

I have 4 of the flat hub caps that I think are correct and they are on the wheels. I was just surprised to see the car caps on the truck, which was otherwise near perfect. I will get them nickle plated over the winter.

None of the mirrors in Snyder's catalog will mount on my windshield post. there is no hole in the post that is similar to my 31 roadster's post. This post is without holes for the mirrors.

Frank
cap.jpg
cap.jpg (30.58 KiB) Viewed 8268 times
Hayslip

Post by Hayslip »

If you go to the AA Club House Forum and search "Gathering firewood with a Model AA Ford"image 34 You can see one I made with a number plate clamp from a big car, a bolt with an eye at one end, a rod going through the eye and a mirror at the end of the rod. I used a piece of bicycle tube between the clamp and windshield post. I bought a number of clamps before I found one that fit. There is no Ford product to address this problem; you just have to be creative. Another choice is item 7853C from Lang's Old Car Parts. It's a clamp on item for a Model T. You'd be off by only one year. Good luck, Ed
Hayslip
emf

Post by emf »

Thanks for the photos, nice truck. I have since found a telescoping mirror at Vintage Power Wagons that may work. There are two 'L' brackets that mount the telescoping shaft to the truck and will extend about 20 inches from the brackets. They are made of stainless and have a 5 inch mirror attached. This may get the mirror out past the ladders enough to see behind me.... Once I get them, I'll post photos. Thanks for sharing..

Frank
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

Look at the "All Stainless Steel Roadster Mirrors" on page 124 of this catalog.
http://cwmoss.com/catmulti1.html
emf

Post by emf »

Thanks, Chris, but I need a mirror that extends out past the ladders and the hard suction lines. As I see it, they have to extend about 14" from the base. I'm going to the truck show in Macungie this weekend and hope to see some in person. If not, I'm going to try the ones at Vintage Power Wagons...

Frank
emf

Re: Mirror Needed UPDATE

Post by emf »

I went to the national truck show in Macungie this weekend and found a nice set of stainless mirrors from a Mack dealer. (WattsTruckCenter.com) They are meant to mount on a fender, so I removed some of the base hardware and mounted it where the stanchions are. They work fine and didn't break the bank...

Frank
Attachments
IMG_1101.JPG
IMG_1101.JPG (332.39 KiB) Viewed 8046 times
IMG_1100.JPG
IMG_1100.JPG (329.79 KiB) Viewed 8046 times