Brake adjustment

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
AaronF
Model Year: 1930

Brake adjustment

Post by AaronF »

I searched on here and with 700 some odd posts regarding brakes I thought i would post a question about this.
I've read on the A forums that the levers at the backing plates need to all match and the clevis's and pins are not worn, these are good but I notice the levers are just a bit off,do they need to be excat.
Also this is a 3 axle and all the pivits are in good shape no slop,it has a brake booster and it works just fine but i have one wheel that grabs hold when applying brakes when backing up,I think I'll remove both rear wheels and drums as the shafts seem to be a little sticky,there may be a loose or broken spring or the shaft is gummed up, any thing else I might be looking for.
tiredtruckrestorer
Model Year: 1931

Re: Brake adjustment

Post by tiredtruckrestorer »

Your brake levers should sit approximately 15 degrees toward the rear for the rear brakes and 15 degree towards the front for the front ones.
When applied the lever and brake rod angle should not go past the 90 degree mark. Also make sure the brake rod return springs are working. After you pull your hub and drum and e-brake assemblies off, you'll want to check that the brake shoe rollers and the head of the roller pins don't have any flat spots on them. The head of the pin should set on a track that is riveted to the backing plate. I've seen these pins incorrectly installed with the head of the pin facing out and the cotter pin hole side facing in. Also check these roller tracks as they are usually have a groove worn in them from the head of the pin. These should be welded up and ground smooth and flat again. A special KRW tool was then used to center the brake shoes. Sometimes these tracks have to be bent up or down so the brake shoes center correctly. All these things, along with weak or missing springs, can make the brakes hang up.

Keith
AaronF

Post by AaronF »

Thank you
I understand all that you said except the 90 degree mark, so with the front levers @ 15 degrees forward, say that would put it about 11 o:clock then would 12 o:clock be the 90 degree mark, if you were under the truck looking at the pass side wheel.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

tiredtruckrestorer wrote: When applied the lever and brake rod angle should not go past the 90 degree mark.
90 degree mark means straight up.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by AaronF »

Thank you, Ill get on this today.