coolant steaming

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
birdacre
Body Type: AA express
Model Year: 1928

coolant steaming

Post by birdacre »

i have a 31 model a 2 door sedan. new radiator. i loose some coolant from steaming. not boiling. if i go 100 miles at 40-45 i loose about a gallon. is this excessive? maybe timing is not advanced enough? might be running a bit hot. any ideas. local drive short distance not a problem. just long runs coolant steams out overflow. no sign of air being pushed into coolant. this would be a head gasket leak. so, any comments?
SHELBY MESSER
Body Type: 75-A
Model Year: 1930

Re: coolant steaming

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

There are sever thinks that can cause the engine to over heat. I'm just going to hit on one thing. FAN BELT, Make sure you have the correct tention ? Next make sure tranny is in neutral, next under the hood try to rotate the engine with the fan, notice to see if there is any slippage on the crank shaft pulley and the belt. If there is a slite slip replace the fan belt. I've had this problem before. Hope this helps. Shelby, Sacramento.

Don't know where everyone is that has had this same problem before and tell their experience ?????
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Re: coolant steaming

Post by 1crosscut »

Buy a cheap dial meat thermometer from the grocery store and check the coolant with it. That way you will know if you are actually getting too hot. Often radiators get filled too full and the radiator will spit out the excess coolant in order to seek a level that it likes. Looks a lot like over heating and sometimes folks keep adding coolant after each drive and the radiator just spits if back out in its quest to find a comfortable level. Check the temperature and if it is not too hot then let it spit water out until it settles down and stops. All you really need is to have enough water in it to cover the tubes in the radiator.
Loosing a gallon seems pretty excessive though.
If it is too hot check your timing. Before setting the timing you need to make sure the arm sticking out the back of the distributor body can fully move and touch each side of the opening when the spark control lever is moved fully to either end of its travel. If it doesn't you will need to loosen the clamp on the steering column and rotate it so the arm moves fully in the opening.
------------
Dave