head lamp conduit tech. question

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
birdacre
Body Type: AA express
Model Year: 1928

head lamp conduit tech. question

Post by birdacre »

did AA ever use chrome conduit. i thought every year had the black conduit. i have heard some people say that early on the chrome was used. any ideas. i want to have the correct ones for my late 28AA. thank you.
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Re: head lamp conduit tech. question

Post by Bob C »

From the Judging Standards "Commercial vehicles after August 1930, (except 1931 Deluxe models
that used stainless conduits) had black, woven, non-metalic, loom conduits with stainless or black
enameled steel ferrules."

Bob
birdacre
Body Type: AA express

Post by birdacre »

thank you for info. i interpreted this as my truck had black conduit. i referenced this quote to a vendor in CO and he referenced his JS book and said i read it wrong? so i guess my idea that black was used is wrong. any other ideas from people? the vendor in CO is well read on the topic, he said 28 had a two wire and a smaller diameter conduit. other years are not interchangeable. please share feedback. thank you, kevin
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Post by Bob C »

The headlamps with the fluted lenses take the smaller conduits.

Bob
tjoey4685
Model Year: 1930

Post by tjoey4685 »

Aa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rumbler
Body Type: 82-A Stakebed

Post by Rumbler »

From the RG&JS, page 15-6:
=====
Commercial vehicles initially used the same conduits as passenger vehicles. Beginning in September 1930 standard commercial models used black, woven, non-metallic, loom conduits with stainless, chrome plated or black enameled steel ferrules. 1931 Deluxe commercial models continued to use stainless steel conduits.
=====

So for late '28 you should have the early fluted lenses and the smaller diameter (1/2") conduits with bright nickel plated brass plating.

Brian