Adjusting clutch

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
chief5215
Body Type: open
Model Year: 1928

Adjusting clutch

Post by chief5215 »

We have put the multi disc clutch setup back in our fire truck as original We also put the correct transmission in it .Clutch was rebuilt. I took it for its first ride yesterday and right away I could smell the clutch and smoke started coming from the inspection hole. It shifted fine and clutch appeared to be working but obviously I must have something out of adjustment . Does this sound like a adjustment issue. What is the procedure to adjust this correctly and set clutch play for this multi disc setup . Thank you Billy
Farrell In Vancouver
Body Type: Deck
Model Year: 1931

Re: Adjusting clutch

Post by Farrell In Vancouver »

Make sure you've got free play on the pedal and the throw out is not riding the clutch. If the re-builder did not use the correct thickness of the clutch disc material, it may want to burn up and bed in. This will heat up the steel discs in a hurry and glaze the friction area. I'd let it cool down and try a few more short runs to see if there is any improvement. Trouble with the multi-disc is they are almost too smooth in engagement to notice any trouble. Hopefully the are disengaging correctly, (not hanging up on the pins) and the flywheel splines are smooth enough. Let us no how it goes.