ford AA cab advice

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
birdacre
Body Type: AA express
Model Year: 1928

ford AA cab advice

Post by birdacre »

i have a 28 AA. when the wooden slats for the seat are bolted to back of cab, what is seen on the outside? the bolt head or the nut. is it a square nut? also.
when it comes to riveting handles on hoods, leather on hood corners etc. can this be done with a punch and a block of wood. not sure if an air tool is needed. definitely not a pop rivet gun. thank you in advance for advice.
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

Re: ford AA cab advice

Post by Stakebed »

they are a special small head carrage bolt that the head is on the outside, square nut on the inside in the recessed hole. Mine had a flat washer and lock washer under the square nut.

Im not entirely sure on the hood stuff - i dont want to give bad advice so ill reserve my thoughts haha.
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform

Post by KimVanOrder »

I riveted mine by hand. worked fine.
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
birdacre

Post by birdacre »

did you do it with a hammer and punch? how did you support hood while setting rivets?
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

82-A Seat Back Wood Supports Hardware

Post by Neil Wilson »

The upper wood to cab back hardware used for the 82-A seat back wood supports was as described by Stakebed - 1/4" carriage bolt (small, low profile head on outside of cab), flat washer (3/4" diameter like the fender to shield washers), lock washer, and square nut. The angled support wood was recessed to allow the bolt head to be flat against the metal (i.e. bolt was 90º to cab back). The small headed carriage bolt was used in several places for the top wood.

The lower wood to seat riser hardware was 1/4" round head, slotted machine screws, flat washer, lock washer, and square nut. The nut was on the board. There was no recess in the wood.

The nuts had a 1/2" square with a chamfered on only one side. This nut was used many placed (188-A stake rack boards to stakes for one usage).

The lower seat retainers (two center boards) were installed with tubular rivets (head on the board side).
Attachments
82-A Seat Back - upper retainer1a.JPG
82-A Seat Back - upper retainer1a.JPG (60.73 KiB) Viewed 4679 times
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by birdacre »

thank you neil for great info. another question: do you have any ideas on riveting hood handles with simple tools? how do you support hood without damaging it? hope all is well. kevin
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Neil Wilson »

birdacre wrote:thank you neil for great info. another question: do you have any ideas on riveting hood handles with simple tools? how do you support hood without damaging it? hope all is well. kevin
Kevin, I have never riveted hood door handles.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by birdacre »

thank you neil. i got it complete. hood door handles, that is a good observation. hope all is well, kevin