ford aa rear window

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
birdacre
Body Type: AA express
Model Year: 1928

ford aa rear window

Post by birdacre »

my truck came to me in pieces, so lots of confusion, bolts in bags etc. all unlabeled. my 28 rear window. i have the two frames, glass and gasket. what is the proper nut on bolt? square, hex? and how is it sandwiched together starting from the inside. any photos appreciated. thank you, kevin
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

Re: ford aa rear window

Post by Stakebed »

I can tell you the nuts to on the outside. I think they have a lock washer under them.
birdacre

Post by birdacre »

thank you for info. it seems like it is sandwiched together as follows, frame , glass , frame, back of cab. is this the order with the gasket around the glass and the screw heads inside and the nuts outside, most likely square or hex?
macswoods
Body Type: 82-A

Post by macswoods »

Mine has hex nuts on the out side. mac...
birdacre

Post by birdacre »

thank you mac. is your window put together the way i listed it. sandwiched between two frames? or is there a frame on the outside? seems that the bolt threads would show from side because of the raised panel?
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox

Post by Stakebed »

it goes outside frame, glass, back of cab with hex nuts on the outside - looks goofy but thats how ti is.

no 2nd frame, glass just kinda sits in the rear panel. mine both had some sort of weldting type material aroudn the glass to what i can assume prevent it from ratteling. reminded me of athletic tape or the cloth stuff they wrap hockeysticks/baseball bats with for grip.
birdacre

Post by birdacre »

well, now that makes sense. i assumed that since it came with 2 frames, two were used. i should never assume. thank you, kevin.
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Post by Bob C »

Here are some pictures.

Bob
Attachments
82a-31.jpg
82a-31.jpg (62.35 KiB) Viewed 5935 times
82a-41.jpg
82a-41.jpg (56.56 KiB) Viewed 5935 times
birdacre

Post by birdacre »

thank you for photos. i am installing mine as we speak. it does seem that the glass is a bit too thick combined with the rubber gasket. it makes the side bolts in the frame not line up. i think i saw a post once that most of the glass sold is quarter inch when it should be 3-16th of an inch. have you ever heard this? where did you get your glass from. did it line up easy? thanks again, kevin
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Post by Bob C »

The pictures are ones that Marco posted. http://abarnyard.com/temp/82-a/
The Service Bulletins say Triplex glass is .180--.200 and plate glass is 5/32 - 9/32. I know there are
some errors in the glass chart and I'm wondering if they have the numbers reversed.

Bob
birdacre

Post by birdacre »

thank you very much. i saw these photos once and saved them, only to loose them. very helpful. thank you, kevin