1928 4 Speed? Plus AA Mirror advice

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform
Model Year: 1928

Re: 1928 4 Speed? Plus AA Mirror advice

Post by KimVanOrder »

rear end photo. On that photo you can see three rivets that hold the round axle housing to the " bell" part. In that triangle on the drivers side is where it is stamped with either and A or B to identify low or high speed ratio.

KVO
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Post by 1crosscut »

You might be over filling the radiator. As long as coolant is covering the tubes in the radiator it will be fine. Allow it to spit water out and find the level it is happy with just so long as the tubes are covered. Many, many times folks get into a cycle of add water, drive and puke it out. Add water, drive and puke it out.........

Place your jack stands on the axles. Front axle stands should be near where the spring perches and wish bone attach to the axle. Rear should be as far out towards the wheels as is possible.

Just a note do not pull the truck or use tie downs in the center of the front axle. Odds are you would bend the axle if you do so.
Also don't grab the steering wheel and use it to pull yourself into the cab. Eventually the bracket where the steering column is mounted to the gas tank will crack and start to leak. Big problem to fix!!!!!

Does your trucks engine have a serial number starting with AA? If so there is a very good chance that the engine is original to the truck and dating it will be easy using the serial number.
With the worm drive rear end and the separate emergency brakes I would guess your truck build date is somewhere between February 1929 to October 1929. Opinions will vary.
------------
Dave
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Neil Wilson »

carlsoncg wrote: o Side mirrors: Got my first copy of the Doubler AA'er (Issue 22 April 2016) late last week (great publication Neil) wish it came as often as the MACCA Restorer.The Vaughan's and Jim's truck (bottom picture page #8) has the exact side mirrors I am looking for, how do I got one(s) like that? It looks really long and maybe adjustable? Of course I have no mounting holes on the passenger side window frame like this 1930 AA has...
The mirrors on the Vaughan's AA are not Ford sold. They may be made-up by the restorer or aftermarket. They are installed on the upper hinge.
carlsoncg wrote: The mirror on Jordan Beller's open cab truck (top photo same page #8) has great mirrors too. Is that mounted on the hinge? Anyone know where to get one like that? Could I mount that in my upper hinge on the passenger side? Would it fit?
The Beller's AA have after market mirror brackets and mirrors. It looks like home made brackets are being used to attach the mirrors to the windshield stanchions.
carlsoncg wrote: o 4 Speed Transmission in my 1928. I took a photo of the transmission part number (see photo). Do not know if that will give date made, but a date stamp did not "jump out at me" when I was under the truck...where is the transmission date stamp located?
The embossed date on the WG (Warner Gear Manufacturing) 4-speed is higher up on the case.
carlsoncg wrote:o Rear end transaxle: I also took a photo of the rear end. Looks like a worm drive to me? Correct? Does that help date the truck? That is "original/earliest" transaxle design, correct?
o Emergency brake: Also took photo of emergency brake cable/rear brake assembly. I definitely have a separate cable arrangement for the emergency brake (separate from main brake cables).
Your AA's rear axle is a worm drive with emergency brakes (transaxle is not a Ford term). There are brake rods (no cables). The first AA's (through 1928 and some into early 1928) had a worm drive axle without emergency brakes. My guess is that your AA is a 1929 or a 1928 with a mix of parts from 1929.
Regards, Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82A;88A;188A

Post by carlsoncg »

KVO, Thanks, I am embarrassed, it "looked" like the bottom of the radiator from the back...so obviously I am not seeing the bottom of the radiator yet. Does it have a petcock? I will look for the overflow tube to add a hose and also try the drain test (4 seconds after pull off lower hose) to see if radiator clogged/needs flushing. Can I put the jack in the center of the front/rear axles to lift the truck for placing both jack-stands where you advise or will that bend it too (like towing from there or putting tie-downs on it will)? I will look for an A (low speed ratio) in the or B (High speed ratio) in the triangle on the rear end bell housing on driver's side. If you get a chance to send the photo of your rear view mirror and removable bracket, I plan to replicate it as I do not want to add new holes either.

1crosscut, Thanks. Good chance you are right that I am over filling the radiator (I hope you are right vice me having a leak) as I filled it to the top after it was spitting steam and antifreeze on to the wind shield and hood during my drive home from the auction where I purchased the vehicle. However the standard cap did not have a gasket so that could be why that happened and I over-reacted to the steam. I filled it nearly to top before this last drive too (after I installed the gasketed Manometer). Looked low, but I will look more carefully when I fill it next time. Neil looked up my engine number (see my earlier post for my engine number) and told me Oct/Nov of 1928 was when the engine was made, yet I have the 4 speed transmission and Neil also said the mirror mount being on the driver's side window frame (vice door hinge) also makes it possible it could be a 1929 truck (but the engine number says Oct/Nov 1928...?). I really want to solve the truck's year question before I register it in Rhode Island. Great advice re-NOT using the wheel to get into the truck. I have been and I will STOP!

All, I guess that picture of the transmission part number does not help date the transmission? Anyone know where the date stamp is on the transmission? Is it accessible? ...But we already know the 4 speed was not on the 1928 trucks...

All, I will start looking for the long side mirrors I saw in the Double AA'er (see previous post) at A/AA old part houses. Any recommendations to try?

Thanks again for the help.

Carl
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Neil Wilson »

carlsoncg wrote:I really want to solve the truck's year question before I register it in Rhode Island.
You will have to get the original engine Id stamped on the frame to determine the year and approximate month. Anything else is just guessing since you don't know what was changed out during the life of the AA and then restoration process.
Regards, Neil Wilson
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Post by Bob C »

The 4 speed did not come out till late 1929, Oct I think.

Bob
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform

Post by KimVanOrder »

Does it have a petcock?
Petcock is on the bottom of the lower radiator water tube. When you pull the bottom rad. hose off it is the tube that goes to the engine.

I will look for the overflow tube to add a hose .

It is on the drivers side, tucked in tight to the side of the radiator. Hard to find as there is metal in the way.

and also try the drain test (4 seconds after pull off lower hose) to see if radiator clogged/needs flushing.

A word of advice. On mine I had overheating issues at first. Used radiator cleaner twice. Second time there was no crud coming out so Assumed it was clean. Still over heated. Next I used White vinegar. Its cheep so I put it in straight. 3 gallons. drove around the block, ( four miles total). Pulled the bottom hose lose and what a lot of crud!!! Man that knocked it all lose. Flushed it very well. and started to refill. That is when the sprinklers started. Had all kinds of holes in it. Pulled it and got a new one. Now all is good. water level is "just" above the tubes.

Can I put the jack in the center of the front/rear axles to lift the truck for placing both jack-stands , YES i do all the time.

I will look for an A (low speed ratio) in the or B (High speed ratio) in the triangle on the rear end bell housing on driver's side.

If your getting over 34 MPH then you have High speed. Search this site for number of turns on engine crank to rear wheel rotation for ratio.

If you get a chance to send the photo of your rear view mirror and removable bracket, I plan to replicate it as I do not want to add new holes either.

working on pic of mirror mount.

Vin # issue. If,,, your lucky you may be able to find the VIN just in front of the DS cab mounting area. On my 28 it is on top of the frame just visable.
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
Apple Truck

Post by Apple Truck »

The date stamp on my 4 speed trans is 11-15-1929 It was stamped under the shift tower with numbers about a half inch tall. when you take off the tower it was on the top of the trany on the driver side. It was stamped after the top was machined. My title is for a 1930 so that is what I call it My grandma said it was bought in early Feb of 1930.