1928 4 Speed? Plus AA Mirror advice

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform
Model Year: 1928

Re: 1928 4 Speed? Plus AA Mirror advice

Post by KimVanOrder »

Turn signals are up to you as to style. One thing I did was to locate the On off On switch for the Turn signals up under the dash panel way to the left out of site. Trying to keep it looking correct. also glued the wires to the frt. signals to the bottom of the bumper brackets to keep them out of site also. Used black wire and E 6000 adhesive to hold them in place. Most people can't find them.

Also a mirror mounted higher will alow you to see over the racks. A 28 mirror mounts the highest that I know of.

Good luck.. You got a sweet looking truck.

What rear end dose it have. Worm drive or ring and pinion?

KVO
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
carlsoncg
Body Type: 82A;88A;188A

Post by carlsoncg »

Thanks all for replys. Learning something new about my AA everyday. Answering comments: Title/registration just has engine number as VIN so no help there. I will look for frame number and gas tank date to see if I am lucky. Do not know which rear end, can you tell by looking? Bought radiator cap w thermometer and it has gaskets where old cap had none. Ran truck today about 10 miles each way to clam bake and temp was good. Did put about 3 qts of water in before installed the new cap though and when parked it back in barn looked like some drip leaks from under radiator. Also 3 oil drips on floor when took the truck out this AM (parked 3 weeks) but dip stick showed full when checked before drive.
Where should spark advance be once truck starts? Read 1/2 down but Model A guy told me today all the way down if "engine properly tuned." I am getting some back firing occasionally but rich/ lean control on choke all way clockwise (lean). Only opening it 1/4 turn to start.
Wow 1st, 2nd and 3rd are short gears! Still having trouble w shifting wo grinding. Double clutching w throttle blip 3rd to 4th helped. Especially tough down shifting. Any advice here?
Got to find longer left mirror and something for right side. The slat behind the rear window has narrow bars incert vice wide board. Anyone try a small rear view mirror? Got photos Neil requested and will post. Keep on trucking, Carl
carlsoncg

Post by carlsoncg »

More pictures. Carl
Attachments
20160723_123236_resized_1.jpg
20160723_123236_resized_1.jpg (488.46 KiB) Viewed 8719 times
20160723_123044_resized_1.jpg
20160723_123044_resized_1.jpg (394.65 KiB) Viewed 8719 times
20160723_122930_resized_1.jpg
20160723_122930_resized_1.jpg (391.83 KiB) Viewed 8719 times
carlsoncg

Post by carlsoncg »

Pics of left side for Neil. Also pic of rear end (I was looking at brake light. Will get better rear end pic).
Carl
Attachments
20160723_123155_resized_1.jpg
20160723_123155_resized_1.jpg (455 KiB) Viewed 8719 times
20160723_122954_resized.jpg
20160723_122954_resized.jpg (373.52 KiB) Viewed 8719 times
20160723_122959_resized(to).jpg
20160723_122959_resized(to).jpg (313.75 KiB) Viewed 8719 times
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Post by Bob C »

Here are a couple of videos on YouTube showing shifting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7JqgBRLXho
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mf6AUbjT-s

Bob
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Neil Wilson »

carlsoncg wrote:Pics of left side for Neil. Also pic of rear end (I was looking at brake light. Will get better rear end pic).
Carl
Carl, your side view mirror is bolted to the hinge pillar (not attached to the door as previously indicated). It would be bolted to d-nuts installed in the pillar. The side view mirror location would most likely make your AA a 1929.

It looks like it has the separate emergency brakes (based on the backing plate shown). The backing plate looks like a mid to late 1929 design. A better picture of your worm drive axle backing plates is needed.

Without the frame stamped engine id, making a year/month identification is not possible. And, given that the restoration could have changed many parts just adds to the confusion.

For your cab (with d-nuts in the hinge pillar), Ford offered an 11-1/16" long side view mirror bracket (part AA-17745). This is not being reproduced. So an original would need to be found. And, it may not be long enough for you to be happy with the view. See attached photo.
Attachments
Mirror Setup 04 a.jpg
Mirror Setup 04 a.jpg (219.22 KiB) Viewed 8713 times
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by KimVanOrder »

inside rear view mirror: Not period correct but very helpful. I ordered a mirror and installed it on the inside. I'm so Dutch that I did not want to put any holes in my new panel above the windshield so I mounted the mirror to a piece of metal that tucks up behind one of the roof rails then pull it down into the channel the header panel fits into. Painted to blend in. Now when I want the truck " proper" I simply slide it up and pull it back and down to remove it. This also allowed me to mount the mirror really low so I have better vision out the back. Be sure to debur all edges so you don't scratch things.
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
KimVanOrder

Post by KimVanOrder »

Your truck MUST be a 29. It is far tooooo shinnny for a 28. :D
Rear axle "worm" drive has the drive shaft going into the top of the rear case. worm runs on top of ring. Search for photos on this site for pix.

On the rear of the drivers side housing of the rear axle there should be either a large " A " or " B " to indicate the ratio. Hope for High speed. :shock:

Do you have the HI - Hi tranny behind the regular tranny?

VIN # : Take a hi res, photo of the frame rail just in front of the DS cab mounting location. You may be able to pick out the #.. But with that paint job it is probably filled in. :(
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
drtrcrV-8
Body Type: open

Post by drtrcrV-8 »

That early brake light is a nice touch! My '28 has the frame number under the cowl section, so the actual number location may vary depending on who was stamping & how rushed they were, etc. (to put it another way : "close" counted. LOL!)
drtrcrV-8
Body Type: open

Post by drtrcrV-8 »

Besides, usually it will be hidden under the apron in most cases.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Neil Wilson »

The normal location for the engine-id stamped on the frame is shown at http://aafords.com/wp-content/uploads/a ... -Frame.jpg

An id stamped in front of the cab is either an assemble line error or someone has re-stamped the id.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by carlsoncg »

KVO. I like your rear view mirror idea do you have a picture of bracket you made and mirror you used? .Rear window frame design just tells you which cab, right? No date associated?
Large 2 ft diameter stain/ film (not really a puddle) on concrete this AM under radiator, greasy to touch but maybe residual antifreeze... I have not looked for source yet...I will look at rear end while I am under there and take photo. As truck struggles to get 35/40 I probably have low speed rear end gearing. Cheers, Carl
KimVanOrder

Post by KimVanOrder »

carlsoncg wrote:KVO. I like your rear view mirror idea do you have a picture of bracket you made and mirror you used? .Rear window frame design just tells you which cab, right? No date associated?
Large 2 ft diameter stain/ film (not really a puddle) on concrete this AM under radiator, greasy to touch but maybe residual antifreeze... I have not looked for source yet...I will look at rear end while I am under there and take photo. As truck struggles to get 35/40 I probably have low speed rear end gearing. Cheers, Carl

My 28 did 28 mph flat out. That is the low speed axle. I'll work on photo of mirror brkt.
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
carlsoncg

Post by carlsoncg »

Hello everyone, Drove Truck last weekend about 25 miles round trip. Before leaving checked Oil level (fine).
o Radiator: Checked radiator and put three (3) 16 Oz bottles of water in it. Bought radiator cap manometer and truck was in temp range on thermometer during the drive. When got back to barn radiator was dripping from bottom and eventually spread a sheen about 2 feet in diameter. I got under it this weekend and it has what appears to be a spring-loaded valve (see picture) in bottom of radiator. Is that normal? I though it had a petcock as I saw "radiator petcocks" in the catalogues? If normal I guess I just tighten down on it or maybe it has a gasket that is shot? I understand the cooling system is not a pressurized one...is this spring what regulates that, or is it a pressure releasing mechanism like more modern radiator caps have?
o Side mirrors: Got my first copy of the Doubler AA'er (Issue 22 April 2016) late last week (great publication Neil) wish it came as often as the MACCA Restorer.The Vaughan's and Jim's truck (bottom picture page #8) has the exact side mirrors I am looking for, how do I got one(s) like that? It looks really long and maybe adjustable? Of course I have no mounting holes on the passenger side window frame like this 1930 AA has... The mirror on Jordan Beller's open cab truck (top photo same page #8) has great mirrors too. Is that mounted on the hinge? Anyone know where to get one like that? Could I mount that in my upper hinge on the passenger side? Would it fit?
o 4 Speed Transmission in my 1928. I took a photo of the transmission part number (see photo). Do not know if that will give date made, but a date stamp did not "jump out at me" when I was under the truck...where is the transmission date stamp located?
o Rear end transaxle: I also took a photo of the rear end. Looks like a worm drive to me? Correct? Does that help date the truck? That is "original/earliest" transaxle design, correct?
o Emergency brake: Also took photo of emergency brake cable/rear brake assembly. I definitely have a separate cable arrangement for the emergency brake (separate from main brake cables).
o Where is best lift points to raise the truck for jack-stands? I have ramps that I could use too, but it was tight for me to roll around under there with my old creeper (and my belly is not THAT big...)
Thanks (again) for your help for the AA rookie, Carl
Attachments
Rear brake-wheel-transaxle-s.gif
Rear brake-wheel-transaxle-s.gif (77.04 KiB) Viewed 8663 times
Radiator drain-s.gif
Radiator drain-s.gif (60.63 KiB) Viewed 8663 times
Transmission Part Number -s.gif
Transmission Part Number -s.gif (65.15 KiB) Viewed 8663 times
KimVanOrder

Post by KimVanOrder »

That spring thing in the center under the radiator is part of the motor mount. Rad. is not pressurized. Overflow tube is on Drivers side and can dump into the front cross member and drip out past the motor mount. ( I put a short plastic tube on the end of the overflow tube so it drains off the frame.

KVO'
KVO
Dec. '28 AA