First startup and drive

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Re: First startup and drive

Post by Bob C »

Check page 311 of the Service Bulletin. Ford supplied a shim because there was a problem of
the u-joint hitting the housing.

Bob
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

Post by Stakebed »

well finally had some time to look at this farther. Heres what i know:

Clutch in (pedal down) no noise - dual high or trans positions do not matter

dual high in gear trans in neutral clutch out - can hear the noise in the video but not as loud. changes frequency with engine RPM.

Dual high in neutral (pto position) trans in 1st clutch out - makes identical noise to video same loudness too. While clacking away it sounds like its from the bellhousing area and is loud and clear with the inspection cover removed. I can rest my hand on the shifter tower and kinda feel the noise in/on it.

Heres what im guessing is the problem:

When the trans is in neutral and the dual high engaged the output shaft of the trans cant turn thus neither U joint can turn so i can rule that out along with the dual high. The output bearing is also not turning. Granted like i said its quieter this setup VS trans in gear and dual high butif it were any of the listed above it should make no noise...

It is as loud as the video as if i were driving it with the dual high in neutral and the trans in 1st gear. Thus i can rule out rearend, rear U joint, driveshaft, etc. If i have it in reverse with this test the pitch is slightly different.

I should try it in 3rd as that would eliminate the small roller bearings inside the cluster gear correct?

My guess is the input shaft bearing. it deffinately sounds like its comming from the front half of the trans VS middle or rear or U joint cover. I can definitely see the throwout bearing is engauging and fully disengaging. sound follows the moment the clutch grabs.

I need to do 2 things before unfortunately pulling the trans: try it in 3rd with dual high in neutral and see what the sound does and try to pinpoint with a mechanics stethescope where its coming from exactly. I think I can probe directly on the input bearing thru the inspection cover correct?

Anything else you guys think it could be? It follows engine rpm it seems and when i had it apart long ago i checked the teeth and didnt see any issues with them altho it sounds suspiciously like a chipped/missing tooth like i have on my old riding mower...

P.S. sorry for my probably confusing novel....
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform
Model Year: 1928

Post by KimVanOrder »

Now its Obvvious!!! You got the old riding mower parts in the tranny... :shock: :lol:
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
Stakebed

Post by Stakebed »

Haha they are oddly similar setup. Good news is while I was trying to figure out the noise I got the carb tuned just right and idle set. Purrs like a kitty now.

Will do some more investigating tommorow evening with 3rd gear and a legit mechanics stethoscope (piece of conduit to the ear isnt really accurate enough)

Might be tempted to pull the shifter tower and have a look (obviously wont start it with tower removed) would need to come off anyways if a bad bearing is suspected.
SHELBY MESSER
Body Type: 75-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

Tom, Did you put a gauge to check to see if the flange on the rear of the crank shalf is straight and if the flywheel is true. Any amount of wobble over .005 is too much, if more than .005 variation the flywheel may need to be machined or replaced. :) Shelby, Sacramento

In the video it looks like you have some vibration 8)
Stakebed

Post by Stakebed »

Yea i figured it out was a trans bearing being loud. Removed the trans replaced every bearing, cleaned up the teeth and put it back together - quiet as ever. Quieter than my modern manuals in neutral haha.

Tried taking a new driving video but need another hand to hold camera and a windsock. Got the camera mount figured out (your gonna laugh when i post a pic of it) and an idea for a windsock. Needs some more testing haha.

I did get a video of the engine purring away.

http://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=207665