First startup and drive

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

First startup and drive

Post by Stakebed »

I cant thank all of you enough to get me to this point in the restoration.

First start of the engine since Dec 2009 and first time frame is driven since it was parked some 60 years ago.

https://youtu.be/Y6xZLNlTbhk

about 10 min long - sorry for those of you on slow internet.

Now when I'm driving it you can clearly hear something making noise. I couldn't tell if it was in the trans or dual high. I've had both apart, cleaned, and checked all the bearings. I made sure I added the right amount of 600W and stp. Not sure where it could be...Definitely coming from one of the 2 gearboxes...

Towards the end you will see a puddle - I filled the radiator too full so it was puking the excess water out. After it cooled I checked it and it was just above the tubes so dont worry about that.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Re: First startup and drive

Post by Neil Wilson »

I don't often see a "restored AA chassis" which looks very correct. Nice job! FYI - a tripod for the camera would be a nice addition for movies.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by Stakebed »

yea i had a tripod but the tripod cant follow me haha. I may try youtubes stabilizing feature and see what it looks like. EDIT: I enabled it but may take awhile to stabilize the video so re-watch it in the morning and see if its better

Its correct enough for March 29. I plan to try to keep it correct as possible and stock as possible.

Any guesses at the gear noise Neil? I've only got the privilege to ride in one other AA (still a memorable ride crosscut!) with a dual high and i know straight cut gears are noisy in nature but i dont think they should make that "fluttering" noise...Thanks!
Apple Truck

Post by Apple Truck »

The chassis looks good Tom. My truck has a four speed so I do not know what a dual high sounds like. I don't think it sounds right to me. Someone with more experience will chime in on that noise. It is a great feeling when you take it for the first drive after so much work. I got my truck finished. Love driving it. Thanks for your help with the high speed gears. Wish I could post pictures for all to see. Good job on the chassis and good luck with the rest of the truck.

Apple Truck
Stakebed

Post by Stakebed »

Glad the gears worked out, wheel bearings worked great for me!
rfj52

Post by rfj52 »

Looks good Tom, mine is a little further along but I still havent start it yet. In June I tried to due the sales taxes and title in MA. and as it turns out that maybe the hardest part of the restoration. Going to try reg. it in Vermont and then transfer to MA.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

Stakebed wrote:yea i had a tripod but the tripod cant follow me haha. I may try youtubes stabilizing feature and see what it looks like. EDIT: I enabled it but may take awhile to stabilize the video so re-watch it in the morning and see if its better

Its correct enough for March 29. I plan to try to keep it correct as possible and stock as possible.

Any guesses at the gear noise Neil? I've only got the privilege to ride in one other AA (still a memorable ride crosscut!) with a dual high and i know straight cut gears are noisy in nature but i dont think they should make that "fluttering" noise...Thanks!
Your video seems smoother now. How about taking a set of high resolution photos of your AA chassis and sending them to me. Maybe I can ad your project photos to the Gallery page of AA Ford at http://aafords.com/gallery/.

My hearing is not good. So, maybe someone can offer ideas regarding the noise you are hearing.
Regards, Neil Wilson
Body Type: 186 stake
Model Year: 1931

Post by Shorthaul »

Nice to see you driving it, looked like you were having a ball. Everything looks good. Makes me think I should put mine together.
Boomer
Body Type: 82-A Closed Cab

Post by Boomer »

Looking good! A running AA chassis is a beautiful thing.
Sorry I can't help with the noise, I watched this on my phone so I didn't have the best audio to pinpoint what you're hearing or where it's coming from.
Drew N.

1929 AA Closed Cab

Skol Vikings!
Shorthaul
Body Type: 186 stake

Post by Shorthaul »

I hear the noise, sounds like a wood chipper. It sounds like it is related to the speed you are moving. Have you tried jacking it off the ground in the rear and running it through the gears.
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform
Model Year: 1928

Post by KimVanOrder »

Noise: U - joint ?
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
stew
Body Type: dump

Post by stew »

Tom,

Nice to see the progress, looks great! I had a bit of a 'knocking' sound in the drive line of my dump truck, and it sounded like it was coming from the transmission. It ended up being the pinion had loosened up in the rear axle, and was making noise. I know yours has the worm drive, but my point is that sound can travel through the torque tube and throw you off. Hope you don't have any trouble locating the noise. Keep up the good work!

Stew Masche
Always one bad decision away from a good time.
BrianT
Body Type: 82A

Post by BrianT »

Hello Stakebed,
Congratulations on your first drive, I have been following your progress over the years, a long hard road, that noise sounds like the U-joint between the trans and Hi and Low unit rubbing on the cover, I have a similar but much fainter sound when coasting at low speed, there is fair amount of lateral play in the early U-joints, possibly the inner cover missing?.
Regards Brian.
Stakebed

Post by Stakebed »

the u joint is used but didnt have much play in it and moved freely, i packed about 7/8ths of a 1 lb can of mystic JT6 grease (red stringy stuff) in that opening. I did notice the inner bowl had a whole lotta marks on it but i thought that was just from a broken U joint at one time.

the sound is most definitely coming from right below me (so u joints or inside dual high) and i didn't feel any similar vibrations in the shift knob. I plan to get it up to 3rd this weekend and see if the noise changes or how i can affect it to get a better pinpoint. If its still not clear i plan to jack the rear end up and start it and see if its detectable with a stethoscope that way.

The dual high does have a neutral position( PTO position?) correct? mines got an indent between the pedal being all the way forward and all the way back and lets the truck roll but I dont want to damage anything if its not.
Stakebed

Post by Stakebed »

the u joint is used but didnt have much play in it and moved freely, i packed about 7/8ths of a 1 lb can of mystic JT6 grease (red stringy stuff) in that opening. I did notice the inner bowl had a whole lotta marks on it but i thought that was just from a broken U joint at one time.

the sound is most definitely coming from right below me (so u joints or inside dual high) and i didn't feel any similar vibrations in the shift knob. I plan to get it up to 3rd this weekend and see if the noise changes or how i can affect it to get a better pinpoint. If its still not clear i plan to jack the rear end up and start it and see if its detectable with a stethoscope that way.

The dual high does have a neutral position( PTO position?) correct? mines got an indent between the pedal being all the way forward and all the way back and lets the truck roll but I dont want to damage anything if its not.