Installing Shoulder Harness Seat Belts

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
carlsoncg
Body Type: 82A;88A;188A
Model Year: 1928

Installing Shoulder Harness Seat Belts

Post by carlsoncg »

I am getting seat belts in my 1928 AA and just read John's "Sad Story" about his accident and some member comments about how much lap belts alone would have helped (or not). I see the point re lap belts vs shoulder belts. I saw a 1931 AA at the RICONN Truck show on the CT - RI border and he had installed retractable shoulder seat belts. For the top attachment for the shoulder belt he just drilled a hole through the cab in each corner put a large washer on the outside and a wooden backing plate on the inside. My restorer is concerned that the traditional B Pillar locating point is just metal skinned Ash wood and not strong enough to properly secure the shoulder harness to (depending on the force exerted on it in an accident). Has anyone else installed shoulder retractable seat belts? Any suggestions on how to do that effectively without major or ugly surgery?

I am not so much worried about my driving as I am about the rest of the vehicles on the road thinking my AA has the same stopping power/brakes as the modern cars when they pull out right in front of me as I "barrel" down the road at 30-35 mph... :evil: By the way the RICONN Truck show is a good show if you are in the area. There were 3 AA's there including a Dump Body.

Thanks,
Carl
carlsoncg

Re: Installing Shoulder Harness Seat Belts

Post by carlsoncg »

Just doing lap belts. Shoulder belts too hard (and I guess no one has done them as no answers)...lap belts look bad enough... but since I am/plan to continue driving my truck as often and as far as possible, I guess they are needed...
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Post by Bob C »

April 2007 Street Rodder has an article to install 3 point belts in a 1931 cab.
They braced up the B pillar with angle iron, maybe you could get some ideas
from the article. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Street-Rodder-M ... Sw5ZBWKsjR

Bob
Attachments
street.jpg
street.jpg (254.8 KiB) Viewed 6809 times
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform

Post by KimVanOrder »

What I would do. Add sq. tube , anchor to frame behind seat in the back corners, then up to just over the top of the back seat, across to the other side and back down. This should make it the least visible. Anchor the top 'cross rail' to the frame.. go through the back of the cab and down on and angle to the frame. If possible this could be below the bed level to get it out of site. The tube and all anchor points should be able to handle 5 times the total weight that is strapped into the harnesses. Remember to figure on both occupants. ( so consider a diet) :lol:
Remember that the forces applied to the straps are transmitted to all anchor points. So just figure on each mounting point should be able to handle the total force in all directions just to play is safe.

If the straps don't save your life, they will at least make identifying which body parts go with which body. :shock: :lol:

Got ?s just ask..

KVO
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
carlsoncg

Post by carlsoncg »

Bob and KVO, Thanks. We all seem to agree that in order to add shoulder belts safely you need to add some sort of a re-enforced framework to the AA cab in order to support the anticipated loads. What is there in stock/original form is not sufficient. I am not willing to do that much modification to the cab so I will live (hopefully) :D with lap-belts.

Keep on truckin, Carl
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform

Post by KimVanOrder »

Your a smart man!! It isn't worth the hassle. ( my opinion)..

KVO
KVO
Dec. '28 AA