Where to find ID numbers?

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

Where to find ID numbers?

Post by Stakebed »

im going back up to clear away all the brush and and stuff away from my truck and i want to get the serial numbers/vin number/ID number but im not sure exactly where they are.... i thought the engine one was on the drivers side somewhere but i cant remember. pictures of where the numbers are would be great!

also what is the shift pattern on a early 29 3 speed? it has the pushbutton parking brake in front of the shifter.... rreason i want to know is i want to jack up each wheel out of the mud to put boards under them and see if it will even turn. but it helps if the tranny is in N for the rears to spin...

i got my branch clippers and weed whacker ready to go!
this is what i have to deal with, honey locust trees(trees with 2-3" needle sharp spikes all over the trunk and branches) and rasberry bushes:

were there ford accessory tire chains? the pass side is sitting on the bed itself so i got a matching set...

lol another small tid bit of helpful info: when it was parked there in the late 50's my grandpa didnt want anyone to steal it so he took the battery and starter off the truck and stored them in his tool shed. so i have a non weather damaged starter ready for me! now we just have to accualy find out where he put it so long ago. he knows he kept it and put it away but he cant remember where in the shed...
mikeg
Site Admin
Body Type: 150B
Model Year: 1930

Post by mikeg »

You should find the engine number on the drivers side on the engine block just below the head, about dead center.

The frame number is also on the drivers side underneath the cab, it is stamped on the the top of the frame rail. In one of your pictures of the interior cab you see a paint can (or something like that) the number is in about that location, a tad to the rear of the front cab mounting bolt.

You will need to lift the cab up off the frame to see this number and often you need to do some gentle cleaning of the rail to bring the numbers up so you can see them.

As for the 3spd tranny, I don' t know what the shift pattern would be but I suspect it is standard H pattern with reverse being at lower right.
Last edited by mikeg on July 4th, 2007, 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Watermelon Truck2
Model Year: 1930

shift pattern

Post by Watermelon Truck2 »

The 3 speed is the same as a Model A car that is the pattern left top R left bottom 1 right top 2 bottom right 3

R 2

1 3