Newbie AA

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
pinesdune
Model Year: 1930

Newbie AA

Post by pinesdune »

Hi folks, thought I'd say hello. Just bought myself a project, a Canadian AA basket case

I still have the parts frame, all the sheet metal/cab, six parts engines, and god only knows what else to drag home. I'll probably be bothering you folks with questions here n there as I do an inventory and finish rebuilding and assembling her. Ive restored an early 28 A sport coupe so some stuff will be familiar.

Just wondering what would you folks recommend for a reference manual, I have two transmissions, a bevel gear rear end, and cable parking brakes if it makes much of a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Re: Newbie AA

Post by Bob C »

Welcome. I see you have a Warford transmission, that will sure be nice.

Bob
markp213
Body Type: 82B

Post by markp213 »

It will be a fun project! Here's my before and after:
AA Parts1.JPG
AA Parts1.JPG (470.6 KiB) Viewed 15895 times
AA Parts2.JPG
AA Parts2.JPG (380.35 KiB) Viewed 15895 times
AATruck.jpg
AATruck.jpg (440.24 KiB) Viewed 15895 times
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform
Model Year: 1928

Post by KimVanOrder »

Welcome. Your a lucky person. :mrgreen: Are you going for 'original' as from the factory, or just something that looks and runs good?
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
pinesdune

Post by pinesdune »

That's a nice looking truck markp213.

I hope to redo mine as close to original as I can but I may not be quite as picky as I was with my sport coupe, it depends if much was changed in the 80 years of life from factory or what the guy rebuilt to use with the truck now

tiredtruckrestorer

Post by tiredtruckrestorer »

If you're not familiar with the Canadian AAC's you will find that there are a lot of differences than the US built AA's. Many parts do not interchange with the American trucks. These trucks had cable brakes, a open driveline (no torque tube), a different Timken rear than US models, often different wheels and hubcaps, and many times Canadian built cabs and bodies.. Mine has a Brantford cab and grain body. The new Judging Standards that is coming out has an expanded Canadian section in it that may be of help. Also, the Canadian Mode lA Ford Foundation has a lot of information available if you join. I have some literature and a parts book and could take pictures of my AAC if needed.

Keith
marcel kristoff
Body Type: flat deck

Post by marcel kristoff »

Welcome to the group. Where abouts are you located at? As noted above, there are a lot of differences between the Canadian and US built trucks. What kind of cab do you have? I have a Brantford cab on my 28 AA. What year is your truck? What type of wheels do you have?
pinesdune

Post by pinesdune »

marcel kristoff wrote:Welcome to the group. Where abouts are you located at? As noted above, there are a lot of differences between the Canadian and US built trucks. What kind of cab do you have? I have a Brantford cab on my 28 AA. What year is your truck? What type of wheels do you have?

Hi, I'm from Neepawa, Manitoba. I have no idea what cab I've got, it's all metal with a standard A fuel tank, '28-29 look, 29 front fenders. Wooden spoke wheels. The engine the gent removed from the truck has a serial number in the 25000 range, July 1928 build date, but it has a rebuild stamp on it and could be from any A. Is the serial number stamped anywhere on the AA frame like an A's is, I can't see one but I'm not sure where to look. The gentleman is a wheelwright so he had completely respoked and painted/stained the wheels already. I'll post pics once I get the body home Tuesday.

pinesdune

Post by pinesdune »

tiredtruckrestorer wrote:If you're not familiar with the Canadian AAC's you will find that there are a lot of differences than the US built AA's. Many parts do not interchange with the American trucks. These trucks had cable brakes, a open driveline (no torque tube), a different Timken rear than US models, often different wheels and hubcaps, and many times Canadian built cabs and bodies.. Mine has a Brantford cab and grain body. The new Judging Standards that is coming out has an expanded Canadian section in it that may be of help. Also, the Canadian Mode lA Ford Foundation has a lot of information available if you join. I have some literature and a parts book and could take pictures of my AAC if needed.

Keith

Thanks for the offer of pics and help, I'd love a copy of the parts book. Yeah, there's not much info in the old judging standards book, hopefully the new one will cover the trucks a bit better. Are there any other books that could be of help?

pinesdune

Post by pinesdune »

Some pics from today's haul, forgot to grab a pic of the spare frame and five blocks Image

Hope to grab the rest on Tuesday

pinesdune

Post by pinesdune »

marcel kristoff

That cab is not a Canadian brantford cab. But it looks like it is in good condition. Someone else will have to tell you what exactly what it is.
marcel kristoff

pinesdune wrote:Some pics from today's haul, forgot to grab a pic of the spare frame and five blocks Image

Hope to grab the rest on Tuesday

It looks like you have a Timken rear end. But I think I saw a torque tube in your first photos. You may have more than one type.
pinesdune

Post by pinesdune »

marcel kristoff wrote: It looks like you have a Timken rear end. But I think I saw a torque tube in your first photos. You may have more than one type.

There are lots of timken bearings in the rear end, there's no torque tube, both are open driveshafts, the gent had two next to identical frame/transmission/diff combos, the one diff is shot, the other looks like its serviceable, that's as far as he got was to tear them both out/apart. Who made the diff? Is there a service manual available anywhere for the AAC ? Thanks guys

Downunder Rob

Post by Downunder Rob »

AAC trucks are not that difficult to put back together if you find the time.
Timken diffs were manufactured by Timken Bearings.
the Australian and Canadian service bulletins do have some information on the differentials.
it is not correct that all timken diffs were open tail shafts.
the differentials from late 1930 till end of production were in fact closed.
the easiest way to tell is if it has a torque arm coming of the diff housing. the later differentials had radius rods like the car and US AA's.
there were numerous wheel from discs, wooden and dual spiders used on AAC trucks.

if you need more assistance please contact me and i will be glad to assist.