New Guy with AA questions

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Chris Reed
Body Type: Dump
Model Year: 1931

Re: New Guy with AA questions

Post by Chris Reed »

Thanks Stakebed- I was actually trying to see if i could see the battery tray in your video last night but did not see it close enough. I'll check again.

As far as parts i'm looking for - I'm going to start going through the brakes and would like to have an idea of what I can and can't order new. I checked Snyders and Brattons web sites and did not see AA brakes.
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

Re: New Guy with AA questions

Post by Stakebed »

Theres not alot that they do carry, Springs and adjusting wedges that I know of. I can almost guarantee you will need to weld up the worn roller tracks on the backing plates - they are always worn out. Shoes get relined and you can find a local semi truck shop can do those or you can buy the tools and do it yourself. I think the rollers and pins are the same as standard model A and I sometimes find those worn.

If you need something you dont see ask us - I know I got oodles of stuff I took off then cherry picked what I have for my project - some I did have to throw away (badly rust pitted or severely worn). Or if you are uncertain of something is too worn or not post a pic.

They are simple yet can be complicated at the same time and built to some tight tolerances. Mechanical brakes like these a 1/64" of wear here and there may not seem like alot but add that up over a dozen or more points and you have a significant amount.

Dont forget these trucks especially the rearend work is big and heavy so watch your fingers.

main brakes with parking brake stuff in place

^^^ main brakes only- relatively simple - your 30's will look similar but be wider.