New Guy with AA questions

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Chris Reed
Body Type: Dump
Model Year: 1931

New Guy with AA questions

Post by Chris Reed »

Hi Everyone,

Great site, i'm hoping you can help me with a few questions.

I might purchase an AA without a title, I have not seen the truck in person and its 4 hours from my house so i'm relying on pictures at this point.

If i purchase this truck and title it i wan't to make sure i title it as the correct year. What are the best indicators to determine the year? Is there anything on the frame that is 30 or 31 specific in case the cab was replaced at some point?

Here is what i know - its a late 30/ early 31 cab. the firewall might have the tear drop indicating 31. what else can I check to distinguish 30 from 31 on a AA particularly things that are less likely to have been replaced over the years. The engine has a non-ford serial number which i think was pretty common on rebuilds in the 40's and 50's.

Also, how much do these trucks weigh with the 131 inch wheel base, dual wheels in the back and the dump? I wan't to make sure I can pull this a few hundred miles with my truck and a uhaul trailer.

Thanks for all help!
Chris
stew
Body Type: dump

Re: New Guy with AA questions

Post by stew »

Weight would be 4000 - 4400 depending on mechanical, gravity, or hydraulic type dump body, hydraulic typically the heaviest.
Best way to ID after you buy it, would be to remove the cab and left side running board and splash apron. ID number was originally also stamped on the left top frame rail, about where the clutch pedal is, if it hasn't been pitted by rust.
According to the judging standards, prior to April '31, overall frame length was 171 5/16" after March '31, it was 181 5/16"
In November '30 the front bumper set up was changed from a dual chrome bar set up, like the cars, to a single painted bar, with a 'W' shaped cross bar between the bumper brackets.
In June '31 4 ribs(2 per side) were added to the top of the rear axle housing for additional strength.
Change over in parts used during assembly varied, old stock was used up first, so dates are not hard and fast on change overs, and parts may have been swapped out over the years.

Good Luck !

Stew
Last edited by stew on November 9th, 2016, 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Always one bad decision away from a good time.
Chris Reed

Post by Chris Reed »

Thanks Stew, the dump is hydraulic and looks pretty similar to the one you have in your profile. Is that dump made by Ford?
stew
Body Type: dump

Post by stew »

The dump body on my truck is a hydraulic unit, manufactured by the Marion Steel Body Co., of Marion,Ohio.
I have traced the history of our truck from when it was new. It was originally bought as a cab and chassis, and the dump body installed by a shop in the purchasers home town, who was a dealer for the Marion Body Company.

Original owner hauled coal, sand, gravel, etc., and the family is still in the excavating business today.

I believe factory built dump trucks used bodies supplied by Galion, Wood, and Anthony.
If you have other questions, I will try to answer as best I can, and help if possible.

Thanks,
Stew
Always one bad decision away from a good time.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

1930/1931 AA Dump Trucks

Post by Neil Wilson »

Ford didn't make any dump bodies. Ford sold complete dump bodied AA starting in late 1930. You can see a photo gallery of the Ford sold dump bodies at http://aafords.com/open-bodies/dump-bodies/.

For frame identification - You can find information about frame AA-5005-B d2 (169-13/16" long) at http://aafords.com/aa-chassis/aa-5005-f ... ls/#5005bd. This is the frame used by Ford for dump trucks starting March 1931. It is quite different from the prior 1930/1931 frame AA-5005-B d1 (171-5/16" long) shown at http://aafords.com/aa-chassis/aa-5005-f ... ils/#5005b
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by Chris Reed »

Thanks for all the good info and references, i spoke to the owner a little more and it has the indented firewall and a steel roof so it must be a late 31.
Chris Reed

Post by Chris Reed »

I picked up the AA today. Is there a number or stamp in the rear diff to determine if its a 5.14 or not?

Thanks,
Chris
Attachments
IMG_1390.JPG
IMG_1390.JPG (143.9 KiB) Viewed 10357 times
IMG_1389.JPG
IMG_1389.JPG (151.71 KiB) Viewed 10357 times
Last edited by Chris Reed on November 15th, 2016, 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
flatford39
Body Type: Express
Model Year: 1928

Post by flatford39 »

You have 1930 splash aprons. Please show pics of the firewall.
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr

Post by Bob C »

Looks like it might be a late 1931 Budd steel top cab.

Bob
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

Post by Stakebed »

She looks like a beaut!
AAholic
Body Type: 82-B

Post by AAholic »

Nice truck! as far as I know the standard (low speed) rear ends were not stamped, the high speeds were stamped and tagged 7-36 (the number of teeth on the ring and pinion gears)
Chris Reed

Post by Chris Reed »

Thanks for all of the positive comments.

Since my first post I did find that the Cab appears to be a late 31 as it had the steel roof and the indented firewall so i'm going to title it as a 31.

I'll have to check for the tag/stamp on the rear end, hopefully its the high speed rear. The brakes are locked up so i have not taken it on the road yet.

Any recomendations on tires that are reasonably priced? I need 4 for the rear.

Thanks again,
Chris
Stakebed

Post by Stakebed »

I bought 4 of the Lucas 600-20 tires, if you call them they may cut you a deal on shipping. If you can ship them to a commercial address (got any buddies?) shipping is cheaper. They normally run $159 a piece. Nice tires, built well nice tread pattern.

Video of my project you can see the tires
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5bvrot ... e=youtu.be
Chris Reed

Post by Chris Reed »

Thanks everyone for your help, I checked the rear diff and it does have the 7-36 tag on the rear indicating its a high-speed. This is good news.

Who is the preferred vendor for AA Brake parts? i was looking through Macs, Snyders, and Brattons and didn't see much for AA brakes unless they just don't advertise them.

Also, does anyone have a clear picture of the battery box? Mines been rigged up and i would like to have nice secure battery box. Is the battery box the same as the "A"?

Thanks again for all help!

-Chris
Stakebed

Post by Stakebed »

vendors in general i would say most try Macs LAST. Ive ordered from Snyders mainly but have ordered from Berts and Brattons with excellent service/parts as well. Mac's is like an autozone while the other guys are your small time shops that you can call and they can answer questions as they themselves have done the job and know what they are talking about. They also stock better quality parts and will be honest if a reproduction part they stock is crap or not. Many times they spend their own money reengineering and having produced correct parts from ford blueprints not just something that looks close and may fit.

Berts out of colorado has ALOT of original parts so they stock the stuff that isnt reproduced.

There arent as many parts for the AA's as there are standard A's but many parts interchange. What specific parts are you looking for?

Your best bet is visiting each vendors website and requesting a free catalog, Snyders, Bratons, Mikes Affordable, and Berts I think all have free catalogs. Many of them contain exploded diagrams with numbers so you know what parts your missing or how to assemble things again.

The battery box is the same and mounts under your left foot under the floor boards. The reproduction battery hold down brackets are junk, I will show a pic of one I made that securely holds the battery down with zero threat of it shorting out a terminal. (made out of junk model A parts) - you may be able to see it and pause my video above to see it.