Changing avitar

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Jeff Brown
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Re: Changing avitar

Post by Jeff Brown »

Stakebed,
How did you finish the rust? I have an upcoming restoration where I would like to keep the original patina but not sure on the best approach - was wondering about just applying a wax polish as long as it did not come up too shiny. Also complicated by needing to do some panel repair!

Jeff
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox

Post by Stakebed »

Crosscut is the owner, i have met him and this truck and is absolutely beautiful in person. He uses johnsons spray wax over everything.

To keep rust from getting worse - keep it dry and keep oxygen off it. The sprya wax is great for the sole fact it is a liquid and can seep into every seam to protect it.
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A

Post by 1crosscut »

Hi Jeff,
I use Johnson's Paste Wax as the finish. You can get it in a can at any hardware store. Send me a p.m. with phone # and I can give you more detail on how to go about it. Initially it is quite a bit of work to do but it gives a nice look.
If you have to do some panel repair you will need to "rust up" the repair. The replacement left rear fender I found for my truck was N.O.S. and shiny like it was brand new. Took a while to rust it to match. It can be done.
------------
Dave