AA FORD SHOCKS

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Matt
Body Type: 76-A
Model Year: 1929

AA FORD SHOCKS

Post by Matt »

DID AA FORDS HAVE SHOCKS ON THE FRONT AXLE?
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Re: AA FORD SHOCKS

Post by Neil Wilson »

Matt wrote:DID AA FORDS HAVE SHOCKS ON THE FRONT AXLE?
Through December 1929, the AA had front shocks which were the same as the A chassis. The shock arms were different for the AA. 1930/1931 AA's did not have shocks.
Last edited by Neil Wilson on October 12th, 2017, 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards, Neil Wilson
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A

Post by 1crosscut »

Correct me if I am not reading your post correctly Neil but the shock arms are different in that they are longer.
------------
Dave
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

1crosscut wrote:Correct me if I am not reading your post correctly Neil but the shock arms are different in that they are longer.
Yes longer but not that simple! Below is from the upcoming revision 4 of the RGJS (four shock arm styles).
  • The following bullets lists the beginning date and change information for each style of shock arm.
    • Style 1 – Beginning of production – June 1928 – 5-3/4" long with or without numbers on the clamping end a 1/4" flange below the ball
    • Style 2 – June 1928 – August 1928 – 5-3/4" long without numbers on the clamping end and a 7/16" flange below the ball
    • Style 3 – June 1928 – July 1929 – 6-3/8" long without numbers on the clamping end and either a 1/4" or 7/16" flange below the ball
    • Style 4 – July 1929 – December 1929 – 6-3/8" long without numbers on the clamping end, either a 1/4" or 7/16" flange below the ball and had a 5/32" deep (shallow) recess added on the clamping end

Figure 2 – AA-18047 Front Shock Absorber Arms.
Attachments
xxe23 f02.jpg
xxe23 f02.jpg (163.8 KiB) Viewed 9671 times
Regards, Neil Wilson
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A

Post by 1crosscut »

Great information Neil. I've managed to get a few of them and with your information it looks like I should be able to date them.
------------
Dave
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

The 1931 AA Hearse and Parlor van also had front shocks. But much heavier than the 1928 type.
tiredtruckrestorer
Model Year: 1931

Post by tiredtruckrestorer »

I believe the Funeral Service, Funeral Coach, and Ambulance only had rear shock absorbers, no fronts.

Keith
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

tiredtruckrestorer wrote:I believe the Funeral Service, Funeral Coach, and Ambulance only had rear shock absorbers, no fronts.

Keith
Yes Keith, that is what my research shows. And, that is what is in the new E supplement of the RGJS (to be released in December hopefully).
Attachments
e23 f01 q8.jpg
e23 f01 q8.jpg (286.55 KiB) Viewed 9601 times
Regards, Neil Wilson
Body Type: platform
Model Year: 1928

Post by Moto Largo »

Thanks for all the shock info. The left front shock is equipped with the Type 1 arm and there are no markings on the arm. There are no rear shocks or any evidence of past shock mountings.. I will keep a lookout for the correct rear shocks and the required mounts, or i may (or may not) fabricate some hardware for mounting modern tubular shocks.

I plan to mount a new 10 leaf passenger car spring and add a couple of leafs to bring up the ride height a bit. I have not found a source for AA springs yet.

Regards, Alan in Roberts Creek
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

Moto Largo wrote:
October 11th, 2017, 12:43 pm
Thanks for all the shock info. The left front shock is equipped with the Type 1 arm and there are no markings on the arm. There are no rear shocks or any evidence of past shock mountings.. I will keep a lookout for the correct rear shocks and the required mounts, or i may (or may not) fabricate some hardware for mounting modern tubular shocks.

I plan to mount a new 10 leaf passenger car spring and add a couple of leafs to bring up the ride height a bit. I have not found a source for AA springs yet.

Regards, Alan in Roberts Creek
Alan, check the above posts - there are no rear shocks for AA's except for a few very rare 1931 AA's.
Regards, Neil Wilson