Front End Rebuild

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Chris Reed
Body Type: Dump
Model Year: 1931

Front End Rebuild

Post by Chris Reed »

The first Project i'm doing on My AA is a front end rebuild.

I have a few questions -

Kingpins - mine don't look too bad, one didn't have any play and the other had about a 1/16th inch of play. Whats the general consensus on replacing these when they don't look too bad? Is anyone making these for late 30/31?

Backing plates - the piece on the bottom that opens the shoes and is pushed by the rod that goes through the kingpin. These are riveted to the backing plate so i left them on for sand blasting (i told them to take it easy on this area) any issues with this?

Tie Rod / Drag Links - is this stuff shared with the "A".

Brake Drums / Shoes - The brake shoes and drums look pretty decent, and move freely. Are most reusing these? Is it true that no one is making the 14 inch drums? Any recommendations for paint?

Spring Shackles - i got a shackle kit for an "A" rear spring. any issues with this?

Thanks for all the help!
Chris
Attachments
IMG_1487.JPG
IMG_1487.JPG (140.8 KiB) Viewed 10892 times
IMG_1485.JPG
IMG_1485.JPG (86.35 KiB) Viewed 10892 times
IMG_1483.JPG
IMG_1483.JPG (106.31 KiB) Viewed 10892 times
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Re: Front End Rebuild

Post by Neil Wilson »

It will be helpful for you to get a Ford Parts Price List booklet to determine which parts on an AA chassis are A chassis parts. Some information about these booklets is at http://aafords.com/aa-information/#fppl. The Dec. 20, 1932 booklet is available at most vendors.

I am sure someone will respond to many of your questions. Also, rebuilding the AA front end is much like rebuilding the A front end. There is overhaul/rebuild information for the A chassis out there.
Regards, Neil Wilson
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr

Post by Bob C »

Chris Reed wrote:The first Project i'm doing on My AA is a front end rebuild.

I have a few questions -

Kingpins - mine don't look too bad, one didn't have any play and the other had about a 1/16th inch of play. Whats the general consensus on replacing these when they don't look too bad? Is anyone making these for late 30/31?
1/16" is to much play, you can find NOS or NORS ones on Ebay all the time. Have the new bushings honed not reamed.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1930-1934-Ford- ... rq&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Origina ... ve&vxp=mtr

Backing plates - the piece on the bottom that opens the shoes and is pushed by the rod that goes through the kingpin. These are riveted to the backing plate so i left them on for sand blasting (i told them to take it easy on this area) any issues with this?

Just remove the nut from the stud and the operating wedge will come off. The only thing riveted is the roller track.

Tie Rod / Drag Links - is this stuff shared with the "A".

The drag link is same as A, the tie rod is different. the tie rod ends are the same as A

Brake Drums / Shoes - The brake shoes and drums look pretty decent, and move freely. Are most reusing these? Is it true that no one is making the 14 inch drums? Any recommendations for paint?

No new drums available, you need to mike them to check for wear.

Spring Shackles - i got a shackle kit for an "A" rear spring. any issues with this?

That's what I use.

Thanks for all the help!
Chris
tiredtruckrestorer

Post by tiredtruckrestorer »

Chris, make sure the brake shoe roller track that is riveted to the backing plate does not have any grooves worn in it. These should be replaced or welded up if they do. Also make sure the brake shoe roller pins do not have a flat spot worn on them. The head of the pins sit on the track and slide back and forth on them. Do not just use just generic pins as the heads are usually not the correct size. Buy the correct roller pins from Model A vendors. I've even seen guys installing the cotter pin end of the pins toward the backing plate side instead of facing the outer side. All the little details help make better brakes that shouldn't hang up.

Keith
Chris Reed

Post by Chris Reed »

Neil Wilson wrote:It will be helpful for you to get a Ford Parts Price List booklet to determine which parts on an AA chassis are A chassis parts. Some information about these booklets is at http://aafords.com/aa-information/#fppl. The Dec. 20, 1932 booklet is available at most vendors.

I am sure someone will respond to many of your questions. Also, rebuilding the AA front end is much like rebuilding the A front end. There is overhaul/rebuild information for the A chassis out there.
Thanks! looks like this will be a good resource, i'll have to pick this up.
Chris Reed

Post by Chris Reed »

Thanks for all of the above help, its much appreciated. I picked up some good Kingpins on Fordbarn.

I'm currently cleaning up my front spindles. Is there any reason to attempt to remove the steering arms or should i just leave them bolted on and replace the cotter pins? The balls on the arms look to be round and not too worn.

Thanks,
Chris
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform
Model Year: 1928

Post by KimVanOrder »

I all ways remove everything I can. Remove, clean, inspect, repair, re-paint. Then you know it is done right!
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr

Post by Bob C »

I would remove the steering arms as there is a groove around the shank of the arm where it goes
through the spindle so the grease can get from the fitting to the king pin bushing. If the grease has
gotten hard you may have a hard time greasing the king pins.
Chris Reed

Post by Chris Reed »

I need some help with the spring perch nut, I messed one up trying to get the perches out. Are they the same as the "A" or different?
Chris Reed

Post by Chris Reed »

Bob C wrote:I would remove the steering arms as there is a groove around the shank of the arm where it goes
through the spindle so the grease can get from the fitting to the king pin bushing. If the grease has
gotten hard you may have a hard time greasing the king pins.
Sounds like a good idea. it will be easier to clean up that was too and the one nut needs to be replaced.
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

Post by Stakebed »

Chris Reed wrote:I need some help with the spring perch nut, I messed one up trying to get the perches out. Are they the same as the "A" or different?
hmm i cannot say... if you had a 28/29 with the car front axle then yes they are the same, not sure if that nut grew with the 30/31 axle or just the perch area did...

anyone have a parts book to look it up for him?
Chris Reed

Post by Chris Reed »

Thanks Stakebed - I might just order a few from Brattons, The're only a couple dollars.
Chris Reed

Post by Chris Reed »

I'm putting my front end back together and I would like to get some opinions on this 31AA front spring shackle/perch, do you think there is too much play here?

The spring and perch measure closer to 2 3/16 and the shackle measures closer to 2 5/16 leaving an 1/8 of play.

The shackle is a Rear 'A' spring shackle from Brattons.
Attachments
IMG_1568.JPG
IMG_1568.JPG (114.44 KiB) Viewed 10309 times
Chris Reed

Post by Chris Reed »

Just wondering what you guys recommend for for steering arm nut torque? I was thinking 120 ft/lbs and then a little more to get the cotter pin to line up.

Thanks for any help.

Chris
pinesdune
Model Year: 1930

Post by pinesdune »

Chris Reed wrote:Just wondering what you guys recommend for for steering arm nut torque? I was thinking 120 ft/lbs and then a little more to get the cotter pin to line up.

Thanks for any help.

Chris
I'm not sure the exact size of the steering arm nut, but there's a torque chart on his website that should help, just remember the torque values change if you lube the threads prior to assembly or not

http://www.americanboltcorp.com/tech/techtorque.pdf

Gears, grease, and glory