A Place to Start

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Vicky
Model Year: 1930

A Place to Start

Post by Vicky »

Howdy Folks -

What shims does every body have between the pinion bearing assembly and the rear axle housing? I’m using a new used housing so I’d like a place to start.

Also, did anyone have trouble with Snyder’s Pinion Pilot Bearing (AA-4625)? When installed, mine was so tight the pinion bearing shaft wouldn’t turn after it was driven in. The first bearing shattered upon removal. With the second one, I ground out the “hole” until I had the proper fit.

Thanks in advance

Vicky
E.Moore

AA Rear End

Post by E.Moore »

Are you working on a 30/31 differential? I just reassembled the rear end in my 31 and it ended up using no shim between the pinion bearing assembly and the differential housing. I followed the Ford service information bulletins on the AA and used prussian blue, sold through NAPA to verify the pinion pattern on the ring gear. I tried using a shim, but removed it after looking at the ring & pinion contact pattern. Some differentials must use a shim, as there were variations at the factory in machining the differential to pinion mating surface on the differential housing. The best rule of thumb is to make a note upon disassembly if a shim was used. If so, reuse it on reassembly, but check the ring & pinion pattern.

I used an NOS pinion pilot bearing and races and it has the nicest fit. You might try Sacremento Vintage Ford for the pinion pilot bearing and races. The original NOS pinion pilot bearings still pop up for sale. You might also try NAPA. Those bearings & races were used through 1948.
tiredtruckrestorer
Model Year: 1931

30-31 bevel gear rear

Post by tiredtruckrestorer »

Hello Vicky,
If you have a copy of the Ford Service Bulletins check the April 1931 for the change in the rear end housing. Previously, a .060 shim was used as a starting point and .005 shims were added as needed. In April 1931 the length of the neck of the housing was increased 1/16" and the .060 shim was deleted. The bulletin shows how to measure the housing as the part number of the housing stayed the same. Hope this helps.

Keith
Vicky

Post by Vicky »

My Truck is an early 30. The rear end housing is not original to that truck.

Thank you.

Vicky