Warford auxiallry transmission

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Shorthaul
Body Type: 186 stake
Model Year: 1931

Re: Warford auxiallry transmission

Post by Shorthaul »

Hi There,
I have taken several of these apart. The shaft is very very tight so I had to press it out. They only go one way towards the strap that you take off the end of the shaft. The shaft is turned down on the other end which s smaller so it can only be pushed the one way. Any questions, email me at papajackstoys@gmail.conm

I'm curious, is the strap you are referring to on the end of the shaft, item # 2031 in the parts list and if so, what does it look like. Thanks!
Jeff Brown
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Post by Jeff Brown »

Hi Shorthaul,

This is what the strap looks like - not very exciting. It just fits into a flat milled into the end of the shaft to stop it turning.
20170206_200050.jpg
Jeff
Jeff Brown

Post by Jeff Brown »

Not sure where the photo went!
Attachments
20170206_200050.jpg
20170206_200050.jpg (126.48 KiB) Viewed 6525 times
Shorthaul
Body Type: 186 stake
Model Year: 1931

Post by Shorthaul »

Jeff, thanks for the photo
NZAA
Body Type: Cousins & Atkin
Model Year: 1928

Post by NZAA »

Hi Everyone,
This is my first post on this site so please forgive me if i'm in the wrong place. I have recently completed the restoration of my 1928 AA or AAC as i have recently learned (it has the big timken rear end, exposed driveshaft and cable/pulley operated brakes.) and have found it to be a wee bit too slow for around town driving. I can only get 25 MPH out of it. After much research and enquiry i have hopefully gathered enough parts together (with a great deal of help from fellow AAers) to piece together a Warford Three Speed Transmission. Throughout my research i have found a few grey areas when it comes to info on these transmissions and was hoping to spark some conversation to help me and future restorers clear up any hard to find info. Firstly from what I can tell the overdrive 'driven' gear has 16 teeth and the cluster 'driver' gear has 27 this to me calculates roughly to a 40% overdrive. If i'm incorrect with this thinking please let me know! The next issue I have is organising new bearings for my Warford. I have been told by the person I got it off to throw out the caged 'Hyatt' roller bearings as they are absolute crap and are known to collapse and seize up the whole gearbox and convert it to needle roller bearings. After visiting my local bearing supplier the man there said the original caged rollers can handle far more load than modern needle rollers and therefore are perfectly fine for the job. What are everyones thoughts on this? Also, i've struggled to find replacement bearings and have ended up opting for 2" long bearings for the cluster gear as i was unable to get 1 7/8"Long replacements and the spigot bearing (WA1251) I have located measures 1"ID 1 1/2"OD and 1 1/2"Long is this the same as original? Please don't take any of my info here as gospel as I am just a keen restorer that is merely trying to find out some info and am more than happy with being incorrect if it helps me learn!
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Chris Haynes »

Warford advertising states that it is a 4.94 to 1 ratio is the top gear.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Neil Wilson »

NZAA wrote:Hi Everyone,
learned (it has the big timken rear end, exposed driveshaft and cable/pulley operated brakes.) and have found it to be a wee bit too slow for around town driving. I can only get 25 MPH out of it.
In looking at a Canadian Parts Price List, there were a 6-4/5:1 and 5-1/6:1 rear axle gear ratios. US worm drive rear axles came with 7.25:1 or 5.17:1. Your AA likely has the 6-4/5:1 gears. Changing to 5-1/6:1 rear axle gears will give a much more improved top MPH than adding a Warford to 6-4/5:1 gears.
Regards, Neil Wilson
1crosscut

Post by 1crosscut »

Hello NZAA. Welcome to the forum. It sometimes in not how fast but how you get there.
Last edited by 1crosscut on March 25th, 2017, 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
------------
Dave
NZAA

Post by NZAA »

From memory while rebuilding and setting up the Timken Diff head (which weighs a ton!) I figured out it is a 6.8:1 ratio. I have also Acquired an Austin FGK60 crownwheel and pinion which I believe to be a relatively simple swap out and is roughly a 4.7:1 ratio. This may be a job for later on as at this stage I am really quite excited about the whole two gearstick and trying to master shifting idea and am only hoping to gain another 5 MPH to allow me to keep up with city speed limits here (30MPH). Also the fact that the Warford was a factory option and my truck will still be 'stock' suits me down to the ground! I am by no means trying to set land speed records in my truck just trying to make it more practical as I really enjoy motoring in it but other motorist unfortunately aren't as understanding of its capabilities. Also the motor in my truck is a $10 block that I have tidied up and tried my hand at scraping and fitting bearings so is not perfect by any means so any reduction in revs will be great for that!
NZAA

Post by NZAA »

Have now managed to complete and install A Warford into my truck and could not be happier! can get along comfortably at 30-35 mph now which is perfect for around town here and am loving getting the hang of shifting between two transmissions. A great deal of fun! thanks for all of the helpful advice!