Rear Axle Spindle Threads

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
captain marty
Body Type: firetruck
Model Year: 1928

Rear Axle Spindle Threads

Post by captain marty »

My spindle threads are almost not there.
I'm trying to find what I can do, without taking it all apart to replace them.
Can I have the threads built up and threaded or cut down and threaded using a smaller castle nut?
What else might I think about before rushing into something wrong?
Marty
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

Re: Rear Axle Spindle Threads

Post by Stakebed »

are they worn off or do they just need cleaned up? I cant remember the die size but i had to run one down mine...i wanna say it was 7/8 fine thread i think...
captain marty

Post by captain marty »

The threads are mostly worn off. I will meet with a tool maker tomorrow and see if he can cut them down to 14mm x 1.5.
Man I sure don't want to take the rearend out again.
Marty
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Post by Bob C »

According to the parts book the nut is 7/8-14, you might try something like 20mm.

Bob
Jared275
Body Type: dUMP

Post by Jared275 »

How did you make out on the axle threads? One other thought would be to try and tighten enough to get the carter pin in and tack weld in a couple spots to keep it in place.
captain marty

Post by captain marty »

I went to a taller castle nut, which covers more of the thread and torqued it to almost 100 FP.
I will drive this truck sometime in the near future.
Marty
dhetch
Body Type: Stake Body

Post by dhetch »

I am glad you have the axle threads situation under control. If it ever causes you problems in the future, you might consider checking with a mobile axle repair guy. You can usually find them by checking with a large truck or trailer repair facility (not the kind where nobody has any grease on their boots) or a large truck towing service. The ones I have been able to use are usually retired Navy machinists (very knowledgeable and very resourceful) who travel in a van or truck going from one job to another repairing big rig axle ends that have either spun a wheel bearing or had the bearing nut back out allowing the hub, wheels, and axle shaft make a mess of the end of the axle housing on the way out. The one who saved my motorhome housing was happy as could be because I had the motorhome towed off the shoulder of the road and he did not have to work in mud. Hope you never need this but if you do, you now know these guys exist.

Dave
SHELBY MESSER
Body Type: 75-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

If you still have a problem with the nut and axle threads here is some thing that you may wont to try. McMaster- Carr has a 2-piece thread clamping lock nut. 1 1/4" width by 1 13/32" part # 90623A220 Check it out this may be more of what you are looking for. Hope this helps :) Shelby, Sacramento