Battery Disconnect Switch

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
captain marty
Body Type: firetruck
Model Year: 1928

Battery Disconnect Switch

Post by captain marty »

Has anyone installed a battery disconnect switch?
From what I've read, it should be installed on the ground side.
I would like to know what anyone has done and how it worked out.
Thanks,
Marty
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Re: Battery Disconnect Switch

Post by 1crosscut »

Marty - I installed one quite some time ago on my truck. It was the common one with the round green knob. I ended up removing it because it caused my engine to crank over much slower when starting. If your wiring is in good condition, have a fuse mounted on the starter along with the battery cable to the starter in good condition you shouldn't have to have a disconnect switch. If your worried about someone stealing it put the rotor in your pocket.
And yes it is best to put it on the ground side of the battery.
------------
Dave
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

Post by Stakebed »

Is there enough room to install it on the seat riser or how have you guys installed one that have one? Yea those green knobs are nothin but problems...

I'm still mixed on using one or not... Our modern cars have a bizillion more things running even when the car is off and you hardly ever hear about a fire. I think if you do what crosscut said and use a fuse, solder all connections, and check the bolted connections periodically I wouldn't worry.
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform
Model Year: 1928

Post by KimVanOrder »

It goes in the cable that goes to the starter. and yes you don't need one. ( in my opinion) Put in the fuse to protect the electrical "wiring". That cable goes to the starter switch, so any issues would have to happen in that one cable and or the starter switch. All else is protected by the fuse.
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
tiredtruckrestorer
Model Year: 1931

Post by tiredtruckrestorer »

The trouble with the fuse in the starter to junction box wire, is that when a short happens and blows the fuse, the generator goes to full charge because of the short. This will blow all the light bulbs out that are in use, including your brake lights when you try to stop because the path back to the battery is now open. You can also cook the generator from overcharging because the power can't get back to the battery because of the blown fuse. If this happens at night, your dead in the water.

I put a fuse in the wire from the generator cutout to the horn and light switch feed. Also a battery disconnect switch on the ground side mounted out the front of the seat riser where it's handy to reach down and turn off.

Keith