Four speed to three speed?

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Four speed to three speed?

Post by 1crosscut »

Is it possible to pull the engine and four speed transmission out of a 1929 worm drive and replace it with an engine coupled to a three speed transmission without doing any modifications?
------------
Dave
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox

Re: Four speed to three speed?

Post by Stakebed »

hmm, I want to say yes as people fit the 4 speeds in standard model A's and convert them back to 3 speeds without issues...now about the dual high or intermediate shaft mating to the rear that I cannot answer... were 28-29's available without a dual high? cant say I've seen one...
flatford39
Body Type: Express
Model Year: 1928

Post by flatford39 »

28 & 29's came standard with the 3 speed. My 28 has the three speed and low high. I suspect it is a bolt in. you may want to save that four speed bell housing as that is the hot set up to putting a T-5 in an A. I have seen them sell for $300.00.
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Chris Haynes »

Why would you want to lose the 4 speed?
gunmetal 2

Post by gunmetal 2 »

I have a 29 AA with the 3-speed transmission out any thing else. I posted restoring a 29 AA look through my library on photobucket and you will see pics of my three speed hooked up to engine and torque tube.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Neil Wilson »

1crosscut wrote:Is it possible to pull the engine and four speed transmission out of a 1929 worm drive and replace it with an engine coupled to a three speed transmission without doing any modifications?
You will need the coupling shaft for the three speed (or the Ford optional dual high - or a 1928/1929 Warford). All AA's came with the A chassis 3-speed through about August 1929. The front u-joint is the A chassis u-joint. The rear u-joint needs the A chassis front knuckle (i.e a standard AA u-joint used this the three speed AA's.
Regards, Neil Wilson
1crosscut

Post by 1crosscut »

Thanks Neil, The gent I'm helping on this is in Texas so I don't have the ability to crawl around and look it over. Was just hoping to make a simple switch and avoid having to swap out flywheel housings. Not sure he is up to dialing in the flywheel housing to the flywheel plus a rebuild of the transmission.
Is the necessary coupling shaft one of those difficult to find items??
------------
Dave