TIRE SIZE ADVANTAGE

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
FVOUK
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1929

TIRE SIZE ADVANTAGE

Post by FVOUK »

Brand new to forum. Working on a barn find 29 AA that needs, among other things, a set of tires. I believe it should have 6.00 x 20 all the way around. Would it help any with road speed to put larger tires, say 6.50 or 7.00 on the rear or would it not really be worth it? Thanks for your opinions.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Re: TIRE SIZE ADVANTAGE

Post by Neil Wilson »

FVOUK wrote:Would it help any with road speed to put larger tires, say 6.50 or 7.00 on the rear or would it not really be worth it? Thanks for your opinions.
All most no help on MPH. The AAFords site at http://aafords.com/aa-information/#mph has a spreadsheet showing MPH. Click on the AA-MPH link to get a download of the live Excel spreadsheet so you can change the tire size at the top of sheet to see the changes in MPH.
Attachments
AA-Speeds-q8a.jpg
AA-Speeds-q8a.jpg (415.96 KiB) Viewed 5902 times
Regards, Neil Wilson
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

I find that many people rush out and buy new tires as soon as they get a project truck. Then the truck is torn down and sits for years before hitting the road.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

Chris Haynes wrote:I find that many people rush out and buy new tires as soon as they get a project truck. Then the truck is torn down and sits for years before hitting the road.
I agree Chris. New tires, mud flaps, and tubes are not my priority for any AA project. Having a separate set of roller wheels/tires is ideal to use until late in a restoration project. I usually inspect wheels with tires. If the wheels look usable, I remove the tires to verify that the wheels are good for the project. Sometimes wheels look good with tires on but turn out poor with the tires removed.
Regards, Neil Wilson
Body Type: Grainbox

Post by Stakebed »

Neil Wilson wrote:
Chris Haynes wrote:I find that many people rush out and buy new tires as soon as they get a project truck. Then the truck is torn down and sits for years before hitting the road.
I agree Chris. New tires, mud flaps, and tubes are not my priority for any AA project. Having a separate set of roller wheels/tires is ideal to use until late in a restoration project. I usually inspect wheels with tires. If the wheels look usable, I remove the tires to verify that the wheels are good for the project. Sometimes wheels look good with tires on but turn out poor with the tires removed.
100% agreed, i bought some rims with tires still on them that looked great but once i got the tires off the rim was severely pitted and exposed pinholes in the rim i couldnt not see

i used roller rims for my project/pieces for a long time before even thinking about tires. I only bought tires when i was ready to reinstall the restored engine into the frame with restored axles/brakes under it.

as you can see especially that left rear its 100% shot, one someone welded the inner part to the outer, others the rear bead i could slip fingers thru the rim... I no longer need these roller rims so if your near they are for sale. (shipping will surely out do any value left in them)
FVOUK

Post by FVOUK »

I too agree but I am nearly done with my rustoration and am at the point of needing tires. Thanks for the info that slightly larger tires won't make much difference. FRANK J
Stakebed

Post by Stakebed »

Stick with the 600x20's - the 650x20's will rub the front brake rods at or near full lock when turning. My 600's rub when turning right but not when turning left - not sure how to fix that short of buying longer king pin lock pin nuts...
Apple Truck

Post by Apple Truck »

FVOUK I put 650s on the back. If you do the math it will give you about 2 to 3 mph. That is not much but every little bit helps. I have the ( High Speed) worm gear in my truck and a couple of miles per hour I think makes it a little bit safer. I put 600s on the front. Put an extra lock washer on the locking pin to help keep the tires from rubbing.

Apple Truck
Stakebed

Post by Stakebed »

Apple Truck wrote: Put an extra lock washer on the locking pin to help keep the tires from rubbing.

Apple Truck
DOH! not sure why i didnt think of that... I might wait till i do a proper alignment - i just eyeballed and string measured when i assembled everything so it could be a bit off yet.
BrianT

Post by BrianT »

Snyders have the long spindle bolt lock nuts, ---- AA- 3124.