Body blocks

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
FVOUK
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1929

Body blocks

Post by FVOUK »

Should new wood body blocks be treated with something (paint stain oil) before installing or just left natural? Thanks, Frank J
pinesdune
Model Year: 1930

Re: Body blocks

Post by pinesdune »

I treated mine with black deck stain to help keep the bugs/rot at bay longer before I installed them in my A car. I thought it couldn't hurt

Gears, grease, and glory
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

Post by Stakebed »

I thought originally they were coated in a creosote type of stuff. I too am interested to see whats suggested.

I think anything even a basic like Thompson water seal would be better than nothing.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Neil Wilson »

FVOUK wrote:Should new wood body blocks be treated with something (paint stain oil) before installing or just left natural? Thanks, Frank J
The original finish and rubber pad information is found in the RGJS (page 4-18 and 4-19).
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by Apple Truck »

I made mine out of white oak and did not treat them with anything. I did not know if the wood preservative would make the metal rust or not. The ones I took out were in pretty good shape after all the years. My truck will not see all the mud that the truck saw when it was being worked hard. I think in another 50 years the oak will still be in good shape. Paint will help seal the water out and in if any gets in to the wood. Soaking the blocks in oil might be a good.
Apple truck