Dual High Running HOT

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
NZAA
Body Type: Cousins & Atkin
Model Year: 1928

Dual High Running HOT

Post by NZAA »

Hi There,
I am about to embark on my first trip out of town in my recently restored AA and after 60 odd miles of shaking down and sorting out little teething issues with a new resto i have noticed that after a half decent run (20 miles or so) the dual high and the coupling behind it that attatches to the exposed drive shaft on canadian AAs seems to get rather hot. Not so hot as to peel paint off but hot enough that it is uncomfortable to hold my hand on and certainly much hotter than the 3 speed trans in front of it. Im just wondering if this is normal for them or whether i should be packing parts for a roadside rebuild??
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

Re: Dual High Running HOT

Post by Stakebed »

Doesnt sound normal - you sure you got enough of the correct fluid? i filled mine up but that fluid is so thick it takes awhile to get into the "gearbox" internally. I filled mine to F then checked it a day later and thought it all leaked out it was so low...
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform
Model Year: 1928

Post by KimVanOrder »

Yup: Shouldn't be that hot, or hot at all. In Hi it is running straight through with no gears engaged. Must be a bearing. Check the fluid level. Good luck.
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

Post by Stakebed »

a bad bearing i would think would make noise, low fluid would cause it to get hot... or if something is bound up tight. or if youve got a siezed bearing but i would think that would have let loose by now haha.