Garage door height?

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
vtwinsideways
Body Type: 82-A, 88-A
Model Year: 1929

Garage door height?

Post by vtwinsideways »

I'm preparing specs for my new garage and I need to know the height of a AA. Dad's '29 is in the bodywork phase and disassembled and my project is still in its infancy, so I have nothing to measure. I need to know the height of an early '30 with the 29" stakes. Any help is greatly appreciated. Luke
"I get all my exercise jumping to conclusions."
Luke in Illinois
dhetch
Body Type: Stake Body
Model Year: 1928

Re: Garage door height?

Post by dhetch »

Luke, my 28 measures 80" to the rear top center of the cab. That is an absolute minimum. I always considered door height to be like beauty or money in the bank- you can't have too much of a good thing. Will you ever want to put this or another truck on a trailer so you are ready to go first thing in the morning? I got real tired of having to load and offload the trailer every time I wanted to take my truck anywhere because the barn door was not tall enough for the truck on the trailer to get through. Or how about finding an interesting truck body that is a little higher than your door? I would suggest you get as much door height as you can afford.

Dave
holdover
Body Type: AA
Model Year: 1930

Post by holdover »

Built a 40 X 60 with scissor trusses and used a 9' X 16 foot door on the gable end, No regrets. The wall height is 10' 4 1/2" the truss is 5/12 outside and 3/12 inside, plenty of room for the lifts.
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox

Post by Stakebed »

Just install a 10 ft door and be done with it... NOT a place to save money IMO.
vtwinsideways

Post by vtwinsideways »

Thanks so much. I'm working on the design now. I'm not sure what the city or the neighbors will let me get away with, but the first proposal will be much taller than the minimum, just to see what I can do. If all else fails, I'll have an excuse to move back to the country with my townie wife! :twisted:
Luke in Illinois
Brady
Body Type: None

Post by Brady »

You could disguise the construction of the door so the nosy rats won't recognize it.
Stakebed

Post by Stakebed »

http://christiancountyil.com/pdf/ZONING ... 2008-2.pdf

doesnt mention in the county about garage door heights - just in city cant have a building more than 30 ft tall. City might be different in regards to door height. Looks like you have some about front yard and side yard restrictions.

My town has some strange ordinances on the books probably from people crossing the line of reasoning and "normal" but leagally able to haha. :roll:
macswoods
Body Type: 82-A

Post by macswoods »

My 29 stake bed is 78 inches at highest part of roof back, a standard 7 foot garage door is 84 inches, mine has always fit in OK.
I did install another 18 inch door section so to get my 51 Mack Fire Truck in.
So now have plenty of height. mac.
SHELBY MESSER
Body Type: 75-A

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

My shop I'm planning to build in my back yard,(now slab only) I'm going to have and 8' high door X 10' wide. Still trying to get my permit with no susses :x :cry: Shelby, Sacramento
vtwinsideways

Post by vtwinsideways »

Stakebed wrote:http://christiancountyil.com/pdf/ZONING ... 2008-2.pdf

doesnt mention in the county about garage door heights - just in city cant have a building more than 30 ft tall. City might be different in regards to door height. Looks like you have some about front yard and side yard restrictions.

My town has some strange ordinances on the books probably from people crossing the line of reasoning and "normal" but leagally able to haha. :roll:
I'm currently thinking 38'x30' with a room-in-attic and a lift. My house is just 750 square ft and has a ridge height of 19.5'. Acording to the official (coworker- as I work for the city) I spoke with, 38' is as wide as I can go and I need a variance for any building/addition with a greater ridge height than my domicile, or any building/addition with greater square footage than my domicile. I don't have a real friendly relationship with my neighbors, so getting a variance in my neighborhood could be an issue.
Luke in Illinois
Stakebed

Post by Stakebed »

Ahhh, yea youve must have had someone build a tiny shack to "live" in and a huge shop once to get around zoning laws if the building cant be any bigger than the house.

Yea definitely want all your ducks in a row if you've got iffy neighbors - once complaint and their correct in their complaint and your in a world of fun...