Rear hub bearings

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Jeff Brown
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Rear hub bearings

Post by Jeff Brown »

So I finally popped the remaining hub off my 30/31 rear end with the help of a 30 ton jack, some heat and some good heart medicine, but the outer bearing race in it is a real mess - grooves worn in it where the rollers have been running and badly pitted. Is it possible to get the outer races for these or should I to try and find a better hub? And if you can get them, how easy is it to get the old one out? Also, where is the best place to get replacement roller bearing cages? My bearings are made up of two separate cages - is that normal? Lots of questions - any help appreciated!

Thanks

Jeff
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Re: Rear hub bearings

Post by Bob C »

I would look for another hub. Don't think anybody is making new bearings, might try Little Dearborn.
The two small bearings replaced the one long one. AA-1225-C is the long bearing and BB-1225-R is the short.

Bob
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox

Post by Stakebed »

I thought little dearborn closed up shop...

Berts in Denver might be another best bet - if not them they would know who....
dhetch
Body Type: Stake Body
Model Year: 1928

Post by dhetch »

Jeff,
If your hubs and bearings are so bad, you might want to check the bottom of the wheel bearing surfaces on your axle housing. The tops and sides are usually OK unless they have been submerged in water, but the bottom takes all the load. If you need to repair the axle housing bearing surfaces, you might be better off buying another axle assembly.
I am not sure that Little Dearborn's departure is final but I can tell you that I bought a number of their wheel bearings and seals. I don't have them all sorted and organized yet but I did check and I have one BB 1225 in original box without the R. Not sure how that fits with Bob's bearing spec.

Dave
Bob C

Post by Bob C »

Stakebed wrote:
May 8th, 2017, 7:36 pm
I thought little dearborn closed up shop...

Berts in Denver might be another best bet - if not them they would know who....
No, they are just moving and down sizing.

Bob
Jeff Brown

Post by Jeff Brown »

Thanks Dave, I'll take a good look at the housing when I get everything apart. This thing is fighting me all the way but hope to finish dismantling in the coming weekend. One side was full of oil where the seal had given up, and the other side is rusted up!

Jeff
Shorthaul
Body Type: 186 stake

Post by Shorthaul »

You mention finally pulling hubs and using a jack and heat. Did you determine what is holding the hub from coming off. Is it rust build-up, or is there a groove wore in the spindle, or whatever else. Also did you just keep applying pressure with the jack along with heat or did you eventually did you get to a point and then just keep heating. Thanks for your patience and help.
Jeff Brown

Post by Jeff Brown »

Strangely, when I finally got it off, there didn't seem to be any rust so not sure what was holding it. The axle actually looks good. I left the 30 ton jack on it overnight and kept tapping it with a hammer but it didn't budge. So I heated it with the gas torch as quickly as I could so the hub got hot and not the axle and then it finally let go with a heart stopping bang!

Jeff
Shorthaul
Body Type: 186 stake

Post by Shorthaul »

Thanks Jeff, I've tried before with about the same method Without your success, guess I'm going to have to make a sturdier extraction device and try again.
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Chris Haynes »

I have the genuine Hub Puller from Ford for the 1930-1933 trucks. It is available to loan if you pay shipping both ways. It is heavy. :wink:
AAholic
Body Type: 82-B

Post by AAholic »

"Is it possible to get the outer races for these or should I to try and find a better hub? And if you can get them, how easy is it to get the old one out?"

Looking at some hubs I have on hand I see that one has an outer race that is a separate piece presumably pressed then riveted in while the other looks to be all one piece. (see attached photos)

Is the one a remanufactured item or a factory variant? The other a stock original or earlier design?
Attachments
Mail-Attachment.jpg
Mail-Attachment.jpg (22.65 KiB) Viewed 9358 times
Mail-Attachment-2.jpg
Mail-Attachment-2.jpg (24.92 KiB) Viewed 9358 times
Bob C

Post by Bob C »

According to the Service Letters the hubs without the sleeve came out in July 1931.

Bob
dhetch
Body Type: Stake Body
Model Year: 1928

Post by dhetch »

I tried removing one of those inner races on a 28 (slightly shorter and smaller bearing) and was never able to move it before the end of the race (where the groove for the snap ring is) snapped off. Maybe the outcome would have been better if I had filled it with dry ice, but I would try it on your bad race first.
Good Luck
Dave
Jeff Brown

Post by Jeff Brown »

Thanks Dave, trying to find a better drum close to home if I can.

Jeff
Jeff Brown

Post by Jeff Brown »

In this continuing saga, this weekend I finally got to cleaning all the gunk off my rear axle housings and found one of the bearing surfaces was pretty badly pitted - see photo
20170521_152214.jpg
. Is this beyond use? Or do I need to find another housing with a better bearing surface - and are they around, or all in a similar condition? Any opinions welcome!

Thanks

Jeff