Bent torque tube on 29 88-A

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

Re: Bent torque tube on 29 88-A

Post by Stakebed »

Im trying to think now... I slid mine backwards while i had the rear-end on 3 jackstands then i remember getting a snapring out and using a large pipe to ramrod the seal, bearign race and bearing out the u joint end.

assembly from u joint is as follows: snapring, spedo gear, bearing and race, thin washer, seal.

I think if you got all the bolts from tube to worm AND the center radius rod bolt out the tube should slide...

spedo gear
pin that evidently worked loose on yours
tube should just slide off...
Rob29
Body Type: 88-A
Model Year: 1929

Post by Rob29 »

Thanks everyone, we did manage to finally get it off. Turns out at some point, presumably when the pin dropped resulting in the bump, the drive shaft was welded to the coupler (not sure what it's actually called) in place of the pin. Both the tube and driveshaft are not straight.
Looks like with a new tube, driveshaft, coupler, and replacement of the very sloppy u-joint we'll back in business.
Attachments
driveshaft weld.JPG
driveshaft weld.JPG (35.17 KiB) Viewed 2433 times
bud valerius
Model Year: 1930

Post by bud valerius »

I have everything you need ,shipping would be costly ,where do you live I'm in Manhattan Kansas 9 miles north of I-70 90 miles west of Kansas City . If you are interested it would be best if you could come to pick up the parts .