Breaks 'arched'

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform
Model Year: 1928

Breaks 'arched'

Post by KimVanOrder »

After looking up how to arch breaks I found a line that talked about just sanding down the High spots to get them to fit / hold better. So I followed the process by putting masking tape on the linings, then put the drum on and expand the shoes and rotate the drum. What I found out is that the 'high' spot was actually a ridge that ran along the edge of the lining. Of course this caused the lining to only contact on this less than 1/8" ridge. And very bad performance. So, sand off the ridge and check again. Much more contact and better performance. Just thought some one may want to know.
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
njcar757
Body Type: closed cab
Model Year: 1929

Re: Breaks 'arched'

Post by njcar757 »

Another way is to go to the auto body supply and buy a couple pieces of air file sand paper, it is 2 3/4" wide x 17 1/2" long, get the one with glue on the back, peal and stick to inside of drum and turn, I would use 80 grit. or you might move the drum- hub out with an axle shim.
nick c
KimVanOrder

Post by KimVanOrder »

I saw the glue sandpaper on the hub trick. This changes the I.D. of the drum to something less and then will leave you with linings that are "arched" too small to match the drum dia.. Spotting is not exact but I can get within .003" and the rest will wear in. Takes time but my time is cheep. :lol:
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

Post by Stakebed »

KimVanOrder wrote:
July 20th, 2017, 5:09 pm
I saw the glue sandpaper on the hub trick. This changes the I.D. of the drum to something less and then will leave you with linings that are "arched" too small to match the drum dia.. Spotting is not exact but I can get within .003" and the rest will wear in. Takes time but my time is cheep. :lol:
i was thinking the same. Couldnt you also do the same with some kinda liquids? Then there would be virtually zero extra thickness... Like a light layer of very cheap spraypaint? like where its a mist/dots? Would wear off where it contacts but untouched other places. Whatever paint is left will burn off in one good braking application.
KimVanOrder

Post by KimVanOrder »

Stakebed wrote:
July 20th, 2017, 8:22 pm
KimVanOrder wrote:
July 20th, 2017, 5:09 pm
i was thinking the same. Couldnt you also do the same with some kinda liquids? Then there would be virtually zero extra thickness... Like a light layer of very cheap spraypaint? like where its a mist/dots? Would wear off where it contacts but untouched other places. Whatever paint is left will burn off in one good braking application.

Yes!! Very good Idea. I have used a broad tipped felt marker also. Anything to show where it is hitting. So today I finished the Pass Frt. side. Gremlins got me. Now it pulls to the Drivers side!!!! Time to do that one also then carefully readjust everything. ( It did make it to the Hawks nest Coffee Shop today).
KVO
Dec. '28 AA