28 AA express bed ADVICE ??? wood photos, information

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Post Reply
birdacre
Posts: 288
Joined: October 8th, 2013, 2:37 pm
Body Type: AA express
Model Year: 1928

28 AA express bed ADVICE ??? wood photos, information

Post by birdacre » July 24th, 2017, 4:11 pm

i have seen in the specs that there are 6 pieces of wood in an express bed. they are supposed to be 7 and 3-16th wide. i am finding that the outer boards on each side could be larger? maybe 7.75. does anyone have an completed photos of an express bed. is the outer board notched or does it just butt up to wheel wheel? the outer bed strips or retainers are curved to follow wheel well profile? any advice, photos would be great. thank you in advance, kevin

User avatar
Neil Wilson
Posts: 2461
Joined: February 5th, 2003, 9:42 pm
Body Type: 89-A
Model Year: 1930
Location: Boulder, CO
Contact:

89-A Outside Floor Board Information

Post by Neil Wilson » July 25th, 2017, 9:43 am

birdacre wrote:
July 24th, 2017, 4:11 pm
i have seen in the specs that there are 6 pieces of wood in an express bed. they are supposed to be 7 and 3-16th wide. i am finding that the outer boards on each side could be larger? maybe 7.75. does anyone have an completed photos of an express bed. is the outer board notched or does it just butt up to wheel wheel? the outer bed strips or retainers are curved to follow wheel well profile? any advice, photos would be great. thank you in advance, kevin
I measured the AA-89168 LH outside left floor board width on my 89-A. It is 7-3/16" approximately (it might be 7-1/4"). The location of the right/left floor retainers is controlled by the eight bolt holes in the side panel. The retainers wrap the outside floor board edges. The carriage bolts go through the retainers and floor boards.

A drawing example of the cargo floor is at http://aafords.com/open-bodies/express- ... etails/#cf. There is a gap between the wheel well and the floor retainer. The floor board machining is indicated for the two AA-89168 LH and AA-89167 RH side boards.
Regards, Neil Wilson
______________________________________
neilwilson.aaford@gmail.com - use this email for contact
www.aafords.com - AA information and photographs

birdacre
Posts: 288
Joined: October 8th, 2013, 2:37 pm
Body Type: AA express
Model Year: 1928

Re: 28 AA express bed ADVICE ??? wood photos, information

Post by birdacre » July 25th, 2017, 9:58 am

thank you neil. you know i was putting the side floor retainer tight up to the wheel well and this is how the board came up short in width. just to be certain, couple of questions. so...... the notched outer board is cut to follow the profile of the wheel well but does NOT touch it. there is maybe .75 inch clearance?? and.... the floor retainer which goes down the side of outside board logically does not touch wheel well either. Question? how much space is there from the outer floor retainer steel to wheel well? would you have a photo of this, also maybe if you know the LENGTH of the rear floor retainer on tailgate end this would tell me the overall outer to outer limits of the bed width. i assume they would be the same as the rear floor retainer. thank you in advance, just want to get this last part of the truck correct. please respond asap at your convenience kevin

User avatar
Neil Wilson
Posts: 2461
Joined: February 5th, 2003, 9:42 pm
Body Type: 89-A
Model Year: 1930
Location: Boulder, CO
Contact:

Re: 28 AA express bed ADVICE ??? wood photos, information

Post by Neil Wilson » July 25th, 2017, 2:52 pm

birdacre wrote:
July 25th, 2017, 9:58 am
thank you neil. you know i was putting the side floor retainer tight up to the wheel well and this is how the board came up short in width. just to be certain, couple of questions. so...... the notched outer board is cut to follow the profile of the wheel well but does NOT touch it. there is maybe .75 inch clearance?? and.... the floor retainer which goes down the side of outside board logically does not touch wheel well either. Question? how much space is there from the outer floor retainer steel to wheel well? would you have a photo of this, also maybe if you know the LENGTH of the rear floor retainer on tailgate end this would tell me the overall outer to outer limits of the bed width. i assume they would be the same as the rear floor retainer. thank you in advance, just want to get this last part of the truck correct. please respond asap at your convenience kevin
I don't have a photo showing what you want. Yes, the side floor retainer does not touch the wheel well. There is about 3/4" (slightly less) space between the floor retainer and the wheel well since the retainer fits against the floor board. The rear floor retainer is 45-7/8" wide.

Suggestion - Make two sample boards which are 7-3/16" wide by about 1' long. Bolt a side retainer to the body (six bolts) with the sample boards under the retainer at the front and rear. This will show you the spacing between the side retainers and the . If your cargo body does not have the six bolt holes for installing the side retainers, then the sample boards will show you where the retainer is located so that you can drill the six holes.
Regards, Neil Wilson
______________________________________
neilwilson.aaford@gmail.com - use this email for contact
www.aafords.com - AA information and photographs

birdacre
Posts: 288
Joined: October 8th, 2013, 2:37 pm
Body Type: AA express
Model Year: 1928

Re: 28 AA express bed ADVICE ??? wood photos, information

Post by birdacre » July 25th, 2017, 3:32 pm

great info and help. that is what i thought was the spacing. the length of the rear retainer will give me the confirmation location of the sides too. i had the bed sides remade from the horizontal groove down so i had no reference. i will go dig up the old swiss cheese scraps and look at them too. as usual thank you. you are a great model AA friend, will keep you posted. kevin

User avatar
Neil Wilson
Posts: 2461
Joined: February 5th, 2003, 9:42 pm
Body Type: 89-A
Model Year: 1930
Location: Boulder, CO
Contact:

Re: 28 AA express bed ADVICE ??? wood photos, information

Post by Neil Wilson » July 26th, 2017, 9:34 am

birdacre wrote:
July 25th, 2017, 3:32 pm
great info and help. that is what i thought was the spacing. the length of the rear retainer will give me the confirmation location of the sides too. i had the bed sides remade from the horizontal groove down so i had no reference. i will go dig up the old swiss cheese scraps and look at them too. as usual thank you. you are a great model AA friend, will keep you posted. kevin
I moved some of the junk inside my 89-A body and took the attached photos. Note that the floor side retainer is not even with the floor rear retainer side edge. The floor rear retainer inside corners have a radius. The floor side retainer is located where the floor rear retainer radius ends. You should test using the 7-3/16" wide side floor board to see how it lays out.
Attachments
IMG_1599 q8.jpg
IMG_1599 q8.jpg (253.6 KiB) Viewed 286 times
IMG_1598 q8.jpg
IMG_1598 q8.jpg (123.02 KiB) Viewed 286 times
Regards, Neil Wilson
______________________________________
neilwilson.aaford@gmail.com - use this email for contact
www.aafords.com - AA information and photographs

birdacre
Posts: 288
Joined: October 8th, 2013, 2:37 pm
Body Type: AA express
Model Year: 1928

Re: 28 AA express bed ADVICE ??? wood photos, information

Post by birdacre » July 26th, 2017, 10:46 am

thank you very much, very helpful. this will enable me to do this part correctly and as original. thank you. kevin

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests