your opinion of mitchell overdrive

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
birdacre
Body Type: AA express
Model Year: 1928

your opinion of mitchell overdrive

Post by birdacre » August 5th, 2017, 1:07 pm

is this a good match for a AA in your opinion? i have a four speed with a 5:17 ratio worm drive rear end. it was converted to 4 speed years ago. it is a dec. 28. how much more speed could be safely exprected? and how easy is it to install and what do they go for? any insight, experience appreciated. thank you, kevin

KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform

Re: your opinion of mitchell overdrive

Post by KimVanOrder » August 5th, 2017, 4:11 pm

birdacre wrote:
August 5th, 2017, 1:07 pm
is this a good match for a AA in your opinion? i have a four speed with a 5:17 ratio worm drive rear end. it was converted to 4 speed years ago. it is a dec. 28. how much more speed could be safely exprected? and how easy is it to install and what do they go for? any insight, experience appreciated. thank you, kevin
A four speed is no faster than a three speed. The top speed ratio on both is 1:1. In my opinion stay original. And look for the high speed worm instead. You have the same yr. and month as I do.. Top speed clocked of 28. and shaking like mad. :shock:
KVO
Dec. '28 AA

birdacre

Post by birdacre » August 5th, 2017, 6:13 pm

my truck is the high speed worm 5:17. do they make a mitchell for worm drive, i know a few years ago they didn't. any new products?

emf
Body Type: Firetruck

Post by emf » August 6th, 2017, 5:04 am

I recently took delivery on a Mitchell 36% overdrive, but have not installed it yes. VERY easy to install. I assembled it to a spare rebuilt rear. Next is to change assemblies with the one in the truck. I'll do that in the next week or so, if time permits. Very well built and the parts just go together without trouble. As soon as I get it going, I'll post back...

Frank

birdacre

Post by birdacre » August 6th, 2017, 7:33 am

is your truck a worm drive? did you buy it new? are used ever found? and finally what do they go for? thank you.

emf
Body Type: Firetruck

Post by emf » August 6th, 2017, 9:20 am

Yes, mine is the same worm ratio as yours. From what I understand, they have not made many to fit this rear. Call Mitchell, they can give you the latest price.

Frank

1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Post by 1crosscut » August 6th, 2017, 10:15 am

Frank. I and I'm sure others will are quite interested in how this goes for you. Can you take pictures documenting the steps / process of the installation?
------------
Dave