How wide between running board outer edges?

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Goztrider
Body Type: AA Closed Cab
Model Year: 1929

How wide between running board outer edges?

Post by Goztrider »

I'm planning to adapt a '60s M101 Army trailer to be the bed on my '29 Dubble A.

Before I cut the bed down to fit, I'd like to know the OUTSIDE-TO-OUTSIDE width of the running boards at the back of the cab, and also at the back end of the running boards themselves.

Any help would be appreciated.

~G
Goztrider

Re: How wide between running board outer edges?

Post by Goztrider »

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A

Post by 1crosscut »

If others haven't measured for you by tomorrow evening I will be able to get out and get you the width.
------------
Dave
Goztrider

Post by Goztrider »

Thanks Bud. I appreciate it.
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A

Post by 1crosscut »

Measured mine at 9 5/8". They are the same at both ends. No taper.
However mine are long running boards. I think that the short ones are the same but not sure on that.
Would anyone else be able to walk out to their truck and measure them for Gotzrider?
------------
Dave
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox

Post by Stakebed »

not sure when i can get to measuring but i thought there were 2 sizes widths on the long running boards
i have a set of m30 shortys i can measure.
Goztrider

Post by Goztrider »

I apologize guys, its not the width of the board itself I need. It's the width of the entire truck - outside of passenger running board to outside of driver running board. Both at the back of the cab, and again at the back edge of the boards themselves.

See, I've got this trailer that has a bed that I'm wanting to cut down to fit and work as the bed on this AA, but the bed is nearly 8 feet wide, and it needs to be bobbed in the front to fit between the cab and rear end properly. I just want to narrow the bed down just enough to cover the running boards, but not be too wide like a dually bed on a single wheel setup - if that all makes sense?

Thanks for the help thus far. You guys are great.
njcar757
Body Type: closed cab

Post by njcar757 »

I have 29 aa bare frame, just sandblasted and painted, my running boards are 70" long, I sat them on the brackets and lined up the holes, at the front where the fenders bolt on it's 66 1/2" to the outside, the catalogue state that a 29 aa R B should be 35 1/2" long, so I measured back 35 1/2" and the outside is 67 1/4' wide, I layed my cab sub frame on the truck frame and lined up the holes and at back of cab its the same 67 1/4"
carry on nick c
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform
Model Year: 1928

Post by KimVanOrder »

Just measured my '28, 73-1/4" outside to outside of the bed..( Original bed). 64-3/8" outside to outside of running boards. Not original.
I hope this helps.
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
Goztrider

Post by Goztrider »

67 1/4" sounds good. I really appreciate the measurements. Would be awesome to have someone else jump in to verify and give another set of measurements just to double up on it. I have my stock board brackets somewhere, and my boards as well, but they are beat to heck, and I'd like to eventually put them back on, but just trying to pre-plan for the eventuality of it all.

Kim, I appreciate your efforts as well. That sounds a bit narrow if the stock ones are 3" wider. I know I'm creating a bit of a unicorn here, but I just want things to look good and right when it's all done.

Thanks again guys. I appreciate it.

njcar757 wrote:
August 10th, 2017, 10:56 am
I have 29 aa bare frame, just sandblasted and painted, my running boards are 70" long, I sat them on the brackets and lined up the holes, at the front where the fenders bolt on it's 66 1/2" to the outside, the catalogue state that a 29 aa R B should be 35 1/2" long, so I measured back 35 1/2" and the outside is 67 1/4' wide, I layed my cab sub frame on the truck frame and lined up the holes and at back of cab its the same 67 1/4"
carry on nick c
KimVanOrder

Post by KimVanOrder »

Kim, I appreciate your efforts as well. That sounds a bit narrow if the stock ones are 3" wider. I know I'm creating a bit of a unicorn here, but I just want things to look good and right when it's all done.

Again. Mine is a '28 so it may be a different size than a '29. You could get some numbers as to how much wider than the cab it is.
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
Goztrider

Post by Goztrider »

Anyone else mind measuring to help me out here?

Thanks!

~G
KimVanOrder

Post by KimVanOrder »

My '28 running boards are the short ones. They are as wide as the front fenders and go straight back. Parallel. From all the photos I have from the Gilmore museum, that is how they go. Good luck with your project.
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
drtrcrV-8
Body Type: open

Post by drtrcrV-8 »

Nov. '28 truck : 66" outside to outside where they bolt to the front fenders/ 67" outside to outside where they bolt to the rear running board support. NOTE : many people forget that the frame is tapered, so it makes a difference where the measurement is taken. Hope this helps.
drtrcrV-8
Body Type: open

Post by drtrcrV-8 »

Another note: there may be a little +/- on the rear number as it was taken both over & under the torque tube, but that 67" measurement was taken at the rear running board mount(These are "short boards") which is also basically at the rear of a Roadster cab(76-A) on a 131-1/2" wheelbase chassis. The longer chassis (157") may be different.