88-A platform Sills?

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Bob F
Body Type: 82A Platform
Model Year: 1928

88-A platform Sills?

Post by Bob F »

Again working on my 29 AA Stake Truck , with the 88-A Platform Bed,and was wondering if any one the dimensions for the bolt hole placement for the
bed sills to the Platform angles and brackets (AA-88030,d3 Sill , floor sides). I've gotten the dimensions of the sills form the 88-A Platform details on aa-fords page and saved all 36 of the original style carriage bolts ,with the special head and square nuts. The 88 year old sills were not very accurate or complete to copy the hole centers from and wasn't to sure if or how far the cross members may have moved over the years. The rear cross member was bowed to the back about 3\4's of an inch ,I straightened it out, but overall the bed is square. I could always measure along the floor side sill member to each cross member from the front to the back making sure the angles are square to sills if this blueprint or dimensions don't exist. I've noticed In the front the AA-88084 bracket, body sill to frame, doesn't line up flush to the AA-88030 side sill it sits a little forward ( does anyone know far)? If someone got any info on this It would be great THANKS bob f
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Re: 88-A platform Sills?

Post by 1crosscut »

I don't have the dimensions for how to lay out the holes. What I did on mine was to c-clamp the sills to the brackets on the platform and marked the sills using the holes in the brackets. Removed the sills, drilled and they bolted right up.
------------
Dave
Bob F

Post by Bob F »

Thanks Dave , That seems like a good idea, then just lay the sill plates on the sill, under the cross members , clamp it then mark the sill plates and the bolt holes off the angles.( sounds like the plan! )
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Post by 1crosscut »

I had my bed off and laying upside down on saw horses when I did mine. Be careful if you are resting the sills on the frame and the bed on the sills. It would be unfortunate if one of the sills tipped over causing the bed to drop on you.
------------
Dave
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Neil Wilson »

Bob F wrote:
August 15th, 2017, 7:00 pm
I've noticed In the front the AA-88084 bracket, body sill to frame, doesn't line up flush to the AA-88030 side sill it sits a little forward ( does anyone know far)? THANKS bob f
The angles should be 90 degrees to the side sills. The AA-88084 "L" brackets were aligned to the front side of the front cross member angles. Originally, the brackets extend forward of the AA-88030 side sill by about 1/4". This is because Ford didn't increase the 100" long side sill length when they converted from body stops to the AA-88030 "L" brackets. Consequently, the side sills were backward compatible.

Look at the 88-A Platform (d1, d2, d3) Summary Gallery at http://aafords.com/open-bodies/platform ... etails/#pd. You will see that the 88-A d1 side view has the 1/4" thick body stops on top of the frame at the front of the side sill.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by Bob F »

Makes sense cause a lot of the original AA trucks I've seen the AA88084 sits a little forward on the AA-88030 side sills. I've also noticed that on some 82-A cabs the rear sub frame cross member had 2 notches possibly for body stop AA-5122.(that another topic)
Thanks again Neil
Bob F
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Neil Wilson »

Bob F wrote:
August 18th, 2017, 3:31 pm
Makes sense cause a lot of the original AA trucks I've seen the AA88084 sits a little forward on the AA-88030 side sills. I've also noticed that on some 82-A cabs the rear sub frame cross member had 2 notches possibly for body stop AA-5122.(that another topic)
Thanks again Neil
Bob F
Yes, the 82-A cab with the notched rear cross sill was for the body stop. This was the 82-A with the high rear window (both with/without Ford script above rear window).

Attached is a photo of the "L" bracket installed on an 88-A.
Attachments
xPlatform front mounting bracket.jpg
xPlatform front mounting bracket.jpg (105.65 KiB) Viewed 4406 times
Regards, Neil Wilson