Making my own mirror arm

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

Making my own mirror arm

Post by Stakebed »

I plan to weld up my own long mirror arm for the passenger side but I know it needs to be a more severe angle backwards so the driver can see.

For those of you who added a passenger side mirror arm what angle in relation to the door is your mirror set at so you can see? What I'm trying to say is if you were to hold a yard stick across the mirror face and one across the passenger window what angle would you come up with? Best guess?

I know it has to be more than the drivers side as I've seen you guys pivot the mirror to the max inward and or bend the bracket to be able to see. I have a very nice original cowl post mount long mirror arm I can get measurements from and copy details but when I weld the arm to the 2 bolt base I want it to be at the proper angle so it all appears correct.
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform
Model Year: 1928

Re: Making my own mirror arm

Post by KimVanOrder »

Tape a mirror on your yard stick , tape the yard stick to the truck, and set it so you can see what you want to get your angle.
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
Stakebed

Post by Stakebed »

Be great if I had a seat and the cab mounted on the frame and a bed to see around :P I may just make all the parts and do the final welding in a few years. Not sure how I'm going to finish part of it yet...
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform
Model Year: 1928

Post by KimVanOrder »

Stakebed wrote:
August 31st, 2017, 7:23 pm
Be great if I had a seat and the cab mounted on the frame and a bed to see around :P I may just make all the parts and do the final welding in a few years. Not sure how I'm going to finish part of it yet...
Or ! take it and fit it to someone else's truck.
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
AAholic
Body Type: 82-B
Model Year: 1931

Post by AAholic »

I bought one of these, it's pretty darn good. you'd have to locate and drill your own holes.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=223076

This is a new red brass casting of a Model AA mirror arm. The originals were cast iron, but once this is painted black it will look great. As seen in picture it fits nicely on a Model A hinge. None of the holes have been drilled for mounting. Will work on driver or passenger side. This may work on the BB trucks but I have never tried it on one. These were commonly used on the stake trucks to see around the wide body. Hinge in picture is not included. 75.00 plus 15.00 shipping
Attachments
DSC_1851[1].jpg
DSC_1851[1].jpg (39.66 KiB) Viewed 4707 times
DSC_1849[1].jpg
DSC_1849[1].jpg (28.59 KiB) Viewed 4707 times
DSC_1844[1].jpg
DSC_1844[1].jpg (35.73 KiB) Viewed 4707 times
Stakebed

Post by Stakebed »

yea ive looked at that before - i have a post mounted mirror so i thought it would look funny having one on the post and one on the hinge...
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Hinge Installed Mirror Brackets

Post by Neil Wilson »

AAholic wrote:
October 3rd, 2017, 5:01 pm
I bought one of these, it's pretty darn good. you'd have to locate and drill your own holes.
FYI - The hinge installed mirror brackets fit the 82-B closed cab hinge (1.71" height approximately). The 82-A closed cab hinge is higher at 1.777" approximately. It might be possible to grind down the 82-A hing to make a fit.

The 82-B upper left hinge has two threaded holes to secure the mirror bracket to the hinge (prevents the bracket from rotating) - see attached photo. The 82-A does not have these threaded holes. These threaded holes can be added.

Mirror brackets were forged steel originally.
Attachments
A-17741-B Mirror Bracket 1a.jpg
A-17741-B Mirror Bracket 1a.jpg (693.12 KiB) Viewed 4641 times
Regards, Neil Wilson