rear view mirror and california registration

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
buddy
Body Type: AA flatbed
Model Year: 1929

rear view mirror and california registration

Post by buddy »

In trying to register my long owned and long parked 1929 AA that the DMV has no record of. (thats another story) The Calif. Highway Patrol says i need a rear view mirror. I pointed out that they were not factory issued. They say I need one in order to register the truck. Rather then fight with them I will probley install one. Any suggestions on what would look good and be practical?
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Re: rear view mirror and california registration

Post by Neil Wilson »

buddy wrote:
October 10th, 2017, 7:44 pm
In trying to register my long owned and long parked 1929 AA that the DMV has no record of. (thats another story) The Calif. Highway Patrol says i need a rear view mirror. I pointed out that they were not factory issued. They say I need one in order to register the truck. Rather then fight with them I will probley install one. Any suggestions on what would look good and be practical?
One possibility is to just install any inside mirror long enough to get registered and then remove it.

Otherwise, you can use the inside mirror bracket for the 1929 passenger car by drilling mounting holes for sheet metal screws (or install D-nuts) in the header above the windshield. If you also want to actually see anything, you can make an extension to lower the mirror based on your height (which I did for a closed cab years ago for my 6' height). This will tend to look correct for the year.

"Practical" - not likely that you will be able to use any inside mirror much unless you have an express.
Regards, Neil Wilson
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A

Post by 1crosscut »

I thought that trucks came standard with a rear view mirror mounted on the drivers side door post. I didn't think that a inside rear view mirror was offered.
I would get a door post mounted mirror installed at a minimum on the drivers side. I added one on the passenger side of mine. Really like having two mirrors.
------------
Dave
Moto Largo
Body Type: platform
Model Year: 1928

Post by Moto Largo »

I used this black cast iron mirror on my AA:
https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_mode ... black.html
My '28 AA has two threaded holes at the top of the door post, just below the roof line that were perfect for this mirror. I had to grind a bevel on the mounting base in order to adjust it properly. It is very sturdy and looks the part. There are also mirrors that fit on the door hinge pin, but I would guess that they will be hard to keep in adjustment.
Alan in Roberts Creek
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform

Post by KimVanOrder »

I used a auto interior mirror. (from a 28 a) I mounted it onto a piece of sheet metal, then tucked the top end in around the header panel and the bottom into where the header panel mounts into on the bottom. Mount the mirror as low as you can so you can see thru the back window. The original style fits with the rest of he style. The outside mirror is on DS and is original, mounts just under the visor..

Hope this helps.. do what ever to get it registered, then change it to what you want. Check what is legal in your area to drive around with.
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
buddy
Body Type: AA flatbed

Post by buddy »

Thanks for the info everyone. Yeah i should have been more clear--the interior rear view is what the CHP is questioning.
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A

Post by 1crosscut »

Interior one... Hmmm... So if a person has a new truck that has a factory or for that matter an after market solid box that is taller than the cab and totally blocks the rear window they are still going to require an interior mirror?? I'm thinking not. They would have to say the side mirrors are adequate. Why would they force you to install an interior mirror if you already have a side mirror(s)?
Just me but I'd go to battle on this one.
------------
Dave
gearling
Body Type: AA

Post by gearling »

Just some thoughts on this...
If it wasn't factory, it shouldn't be required, and you sure as s##t shouldn't have to drill holes in your antique vehicle to adapt it.
What about box vans? Is an interior mirror required so you can see the front of the box?
How many people did you talk to?
Almost every single time I've renewed my driver's license I've had to go through 2 to 3 tiers of supervisors because I'm told I can't get a license due to the fact I'm blind in one eye and can't pass the eye test. Completely different scenario, but its testimony to the fact that incompetence runs rampant in bureaucracies!
Here in the Great State of Texas, antique tags exempt you from seat belts, turn signals and anything else that wasn't standard equipment in production. But please don't move here because of that, we have too many guys from Cali here already! :D
Moto Largo
Body Type: platform

Post by Moto Largo »

Why not get any old mirror that glues onto the glass and scrape it off after CHP has been satisfied? It is unlikely that you will ever get busted for a missing mirror while driving your old truck,
Alan in Roberts Creek
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

buddy wrote:
October 11th, 2017, 7:09 pm
Thanks for the info everyone. Yeah i should have been more clear--the interior rear view is what the CHP is questioning.
Bubby, The Ford's terminology "rear view mirror" means inside mirror. So, you was clear to my way of thinking. While I agree with what others are saying - you should not be required to have an inside mirror. But, it is usually not worth the effort fighting the system. Install a temporary inside mirror, get your registration, remove the temporary mirror and move on. You will not be required to have an inspection to renew - correct?
Regards, Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A Platform

Post by KimVanOrder »

My understanding is that If no interior mirror, because of blocked rear window, then two outside mirrors are required. ( this is for modern autos). I'd do what Neal said. Do what is requested in a non-destructive way to the truck, get the paper work done, then remove it.. Suction cups on windows, magnetic mounts, etc..
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

Actually CHP is supposed to verify the numbers. Not do an equipment check. If he refuses to verify the numbers I would go talk to his watch commander.
locke9999
Body Type: aa express

Post by locke9999 »

my thoughts

they prob want two mirrors either in or outside.

al