Putting Wire Spokes on the '28/'29

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
gearling
Body Type: AA
Model Year: 1929

Putting Wire Spokes on the '28/'29

Post by gearling »

Got her up in the air, Man, those steelies are heavier than the budd wheels on the dually! I toss on a wire wheel , and oh, no! It won't go all the way on! I pull it away for a look, and decide to pull the hub cover off, and, aha! Perfect fit! So, I really don't mind not having caps for the wheels. It's just an old work truck, and those things cost what I paid for the whole truck in the first place. However, I do want to keep the bearings clean and dry. Is there a dust cover/grease cap that just goes on the end of the hub to go in place of the huge dust covers that fit the steelies?
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox

Re: Putting Wire Spokes on the '28/'29

Post by Stakebed »

Hmm you may look around and try things like paint lids, or go to an industrial electrical supply place and look at knockout plugs - they come in all sorts of sizes and either snap in place or attach from the back with a screw.

Since you want function over formality id get creative and see what you can find. I do agree you should have some sort of cap to keep water and dust out of the bearings!
gearling

Post by gearling »

That might be an option, It's amazing the things that seem to be standard sizes across different industries!
gearling

Post by gearling »

As a Chevy mechanic in the 80s, I always kept a variety of wine corks, golf tees, ball bearings and other miscellany in my tool box. A good Chevy mechanic always has a handful of parts left over, especially when working on a Ford! :lol:
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Neil Wilson »

gearling wrote:
October 12th, 2017, 7:03 am
Got her up in the air, Man, those steelies are heavier than the budd wheels on the dually! I toss on a wire wheel , and oh, no! It won't go all the way on! I pull it away for a look, and decide to pull the hub cover off, and, aha! Perfect fit! So, I really don't mind not having caps for the wheels. It's just an old work truck, and those things cost what I paid for the whole truck in the first place. However, I do want to keep the bearings clean and dry. Is there a dust cover/grease cap that just goes on the end of the hub to go in place of the huge dust covers that fit the steelies?
I am guessing that your AA has the 1929 six hole disk wheel with their respective hub caps. And, as you indicate the steel spoke wheel will not fit over these disk wheel hub caps. I have seen/heard of one AA'er who found A chassis hub caps which could be installed onto the AA steel spoke wheels. So, this is an option.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by gearling »

just fitted up one side to get an idea of how it will look when finished. Always good to contemplate things over a beer or three!
Attachments
1929 Model AA.png
1929 Model AA.png (542.51 KiB) Viewed 10569 times
dhetch
Body Type: Stake Body
Model Year: 1928

Post by dhetch »

Many years ago I had the same problem and found some slightly raised steel hole plugs that snapped right into the wheel. You might check Graybar Electric or Grainger or McMaster-Carr. If you want a more "authentic" interim look or if you have axle shafts pushing these out, you can use a hole saw or a lathe and cut out the plug to match the A hubcap of your choosing. eventually you will come across the correct hubcaps without spending a handsome ransom for them.
Many of us have been there.

Dave
gearling

Post by gearling »

Those snap in plugs are a great idea! They could even be attached to a ford script badge so they wouldn't look out of place to the untrained eye, and they'd serve the practical purpose of keeping out dust and water until I find the elusive deal on proper caps. Thank you!!!
s147881
Body Type: stake bed 82A

Post by s147881 »

Anyone have picture of what the original cap looks like?
emf
Body Type: Firetruck

Post by emf »

Here ya go...
Attachments
IMG_4372aa.jpg
IMG_4372aa.jpg (232.75 KiB) Viewed 10460 times
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox

Post by Stakebed »

yea - you might have a hens tooths chance of finding one or a set at a swapmeet on the dollar tarp cuz they dont know what they are to - Ive gotten several 29 centercaps that way.

I always keep my eyes out for em. You should be able to come up with SOMETHING that fits... Can anyone get me an opening diameter of a 28 rim? (or close)
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

s147881 wrote:
October 24th, 2017, 10:31 am
Anyone have picture of what the original cap looks like?
FYI - These hub caps were snapped onto the wheels without the tabs being bent (unlike the A chassis hub caps). The tabs will break off if bent (and many show up that way).

There were five different stampings for these 1928/1929 steel spoke wheel hub cabs as shown in the photo below. The photo images are arranged in usage sequence. The first design was used through March 1928. The fifth image is the most common found in my experience. Finding a set of five with all the same stamping is hard.
Attachments
Hub Cap 28c q8.jpg
Hub Cap 28c q8.jpg (79.33 KiB) Viewed 10413 times
e22 f06.jpg
e22 f06.jpg (273.1 KiB) Viewed 10413 times
Regards, Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A Platform

Post by KimVanOrder »

now this is an item that some retired machinist should start to replicate.
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
s147881
Body Type: stake bed 82A

Post by s147881 »

That's the cap for rim - I have all those but is there a dost/ water cap that goes on the hub flange under the spoked rim?
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

s147881 wrote:
October 25th, 2017, 6:01 pm
That's the cap for rim - I have all those but is there a dost/ water cap that goes on the hub flange under the spoked rim?
There is no cap listed for the hub flange. As shown above, the AA-1130 "wheel hub shell cap" is all that is listed.
Regards, Neil Wilson